• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patriot pistol weak hammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Pollard

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum, just wondering if anyone knows why a recently aquired patriot pistol only sets off cap every other fall. Could it be the mainspring? And if so, are they easy to change? Thanks

Could be a mushroomed nipple or just poor cap/nipple fit. First fall seats the cap, second fall fires it.

I would agree. Check the nipple and the caps. Also check to see where the hammer comes down onto the top of the nipple to see if it strikes cleanly. Remove the lock from the stock and check for some debris or bits of the wood stock interferring. Last but not least, don't over tighten the lock bolt. Just snug that up, otherwise you could be flittering with a cracked stock.

Firing every other fall tells me it's hitting the cap hard enough but the cap isn't fully seated the first time.

Put a cap on, lower the hammer, press down to firmly seat the cap then try dropping the hammer. If it fires consistently then the nipple /cap fit is off.

As your gun is a recently aquired patriot pistol there is a good likelihood that its lock has not been lubricated for a long time. Perhaps, never.

You should be able to remove the lock by loosening any screw that is holding the barrel in place, then setting the hammer at half cock and then loosening the screw on the left lock panel.

After this lock screw is loosened a few turns, tap the head a few times with the screwdriver handle to loosen the lock in its mortice.
Once done, remove the screw and the lock.

A good cleaning with a tooth brush (not your wife's) and some good gun oil will often loosen up a lock and make it work like new. :)

Back