• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex yelamos

.50 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this knife a while back at an antique store. It was labeled as a knife made in the 1840s. I was wondering if it would be PC for 18th century. I'm not so sure about the pins being PC
image_zpsyhxjzeuq.jpg.html

I was looking more at the pins you refered to in the original post. It maybe a re shaped butcher knife that you have but like I said I'm not an x spurt by any means. By the way Welcome to the Forum I just saw you are a new comer :hatsoff: there's a lot of good fks here enjoy your stay :thumbsup:

Cool :thumbsup: there a Rendezvous just up the road from you . I think it's held in January every year Google Alafia rendezvous and that should get you to the location :thumbsup:

It looks to me like an older "Old Hickory" slicer. They are great steel, and while the rivets are a bit modern for the 18th century, you can redo them by drilling out the rivets, slotting a piece of wood, bone or antler, and drilling holes for pins in the handle. Line up your new pin holes with the original holes in the tang to save trouble. Use steel finish nails or common nails for the pins and modern cutler' cement (epoxy) to pin the handles in place, file down the nails, and you've dramatically improved the look.

Thanks for the great suggestion. I have some antler tips begging to be used. And thanks smo for telling me about that rendezvous, I think I might go next year.

No problem that's what we're here for to help others when we can and carry on the tradition of muzzleloading. :thumbsup: the Alafia is advertised as the biggest rondy East of the Mississippi. I was fortunate enough to go two years while I was located in that area for work. They have tons of vendors selling anything one could imagine related to muzzleloading .

Sounds good! I recently used antler on an Old Hickory paring knife. You can see the post in the Craftsman section. I got a lot of good advice from others on this forum whose knowledge far exceeds mine.

IF really PC copies of 18th-19th Century knives is important to you, university libraries & "some" museums will either make you Xerox copies of their knives or let you make them.
(Several years ago, a research librarian at DILLARD UNIVERSITY saw me intently looking at & trying, with little success, to sketch some of their daggers, which were displayed as part of their "Early Times in Louisiana" section. I'm FAR from an artist!!! - She asked me what I was doing & when I told her, she said, "Come back tomorrow & I'll have something for you." = She handed me color copies of all the dozen or more knives in the case. - NICE, NICE, HELPFUL lady.)

yours, satx

It looks like the scales are attached with copper/brass cutler rivets. These rivets first started being used around the late 1880's however I think Chuck Burrows found a reference as early as 1852 but I'm not certain my memory is good on that- maybe Chuck can add if he reads this.
To me it looks like a generic carving knife that could be rather recent in manufacture.
The other issue is the tang. I am told full tangs existed before 1840 and I have been told this by reliable sources so I accept such HOWEVER I've never found any. In my researches I have to say 99% of the thin butcher/carving type knives had some sort of a half tang. Usually these tangs were also tapered towards the rear. They could be fit into a one piece handle with a sawn cut in front or fit between two scales.
On the means to attach the blade- iron pins. I haven't found one style older than another- three straight pins, a T pattern of 4 pins or H of five pins- not sure if one pattern is older than another. Smith's Key of 1816 shows butcher knives with just 3 pins.

Back