• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC taken too far

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelange

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It might be a tad off the original topic, but it's my favorite "PC" story and illustrates the mentality of certain people. I got involved in a discussion with a self-proclaimed expert on early American firearms, who stated that "all" pre-1800 Pennsylvania rifle had swamped barrels, brass hardware, and relief-carved curly maple stocks. When I took two different reference books off his shelves and showed him numerous examples of exceptions to his rule, he very pompously declared that, "Those rifles may be original, but they are not correct. Your attitude cheapens and degrades this sport."
His gun shop went out of business shortly thereafter. Good riddance.

Hmm. My computer illiteracy strikes again. I meant this to be a weigh-in on the topic, "How PC were original rifles?" Ah well.

"Those rifles may be original, but they are not correct. Your attitude cheapens and degrades this sport."
Priceless! :grin: Must of been one of those guys who sees things in absolutes. Personally, I'll pick grey over black or white anyday.

mongrel said:
"Those rifles may be original, but they are not correct."

Reminds me of another forum on another topic. Someone was trolling, spouting off some notion that we all knew to be completely false. His reply, when we asked him for evidence or proof of his statement? "These are facts which need no proof."

:shake:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :blah: maybe this guy ought to be up for one of those Darwin Awards. Ya know, the ones for Stupid Humans. People like that really make ya laugh out loud YMHS Birdman

"Those rifles may be original, but they are not correct. Your attitude cheapens and degrades this sport."

That's classic. I heard a gun shop employee explaining to a customer that rifles were invented in Pennsylvania at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.

When I asked him about the rifles that came from Central Europe in the mid-15th century, he told me that those rifles were copies of the Pennsylvania Longrifle. There are a lot of interesting theories out there. :shake:

flash_in_the_pan said:

That's classic. I heard a gun shop employee explaining to a customer that rifles were invented in Pennsylvania at the beginning of the Revolutionary War.

When I asked him about the rifles that came from Central Europe in the mid-15th century, he told me that those rifles were copies of the Pennsylvania Longrifle. There are a lot of interesting theories out there. :shake:

And a lot of interesting NUTS too ...

Bill

I expect he didn't know when the 15th century was, like the Millenium celebrations a year before the 21st Century began. :snore:

Long as I've got you all going on this, I might as well add the rest of what was said. My debate with said gun shop owner originated when I mentioned that I'd built some very plain rifles with welded-and-ground steel hardware and 32"-33" barrels. In all other respects they were "correct" longrifles. Why did I build these guns the way I did? Because I can weld up my own guards and buttplates from scrap metal, paying nothing in the process, and these guns were for a couple of local kids who had nearly no money and also no dads, but who wanted to shoot. Got the moms' permission, in each case, charged fifty or so bucks (used CVA or Jukar barrels gotten in trade or by other low-cost means), and got these kids shooting. The PC freak was referring to the fact that I built, essentially, modern-day trade rifles, instead of forcing these kids to find the money for "proper" rifles or forget shooting muzzleloaders. They -- and I -- cheapened the sport, in his humble opinion. Anyone who wants to shut good kids out of shooting -- for any reason -- needs his head examined.

Latest posts

Back