• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pecatonica Classic TN long Rifle Stock and Components

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back in 1998 I bought all the components necessary to build their rifle . Siler lock percussion, 45 cal green mountain barrel, Bean style TN furniture , screws , trigger . I mean the whole thing. Well at the time I had kids in high school , collage , traveling job and never touched this stuff. I packed the all the metal parts in heavy oil, wrapped them up and put them in the gun closet . Everything is like new just 20 years old and I was thinking about starting this project some time this spring but I have learned a few things since 98 :

First I would rather have a flintlock than a percussion gun and the siler lock is not really correct for the period. Can someone suggest a lock that can fit into the area already milled out for the Siler lock. ( this is a small siler lock ) .

Is their a basic tool list on a sticky somewhere so I can start getting any special tools I don't already have.

The only thing I am a little scared of is fitting the but plate . Can someone suggest a tutorial on line.

I would appreciate any advice or concerns anybody has about working with a pre-carved stock or any pitfalls to be aware of. I am not looking at building a museum piece here . I just want a plane working gun .

The buttplate isn't that scary. It's a PIA, but it's not scary, just take your time, file/rasp, test, file/rasp, test, etc. etc.. As for an online tutorial, there is one on the American Longrifle forum I think, but I don't know if it's permissible to mention other links/forums here (and if not, moderators can delete my comment immediately and accept my apology.

Last edited:
if the stock is inlet for a small siler percussion than a flintlock small siler will fit. is the barrel swamped or straight? my first build was a Pecatonica Lehigh kit and i did all the inletting except barrel and ramrod channel, i learned a lot and it wasn't too bad and luckily i had a friend who was a very competent builder that could answer questions when i had them. the butt plate was not bad at all.

While they weren't common, Bill Ivey's book on N. Carolina mountain rifles has some rifles with Germanic looking locks. A round-tailed later style would be more appropriate, but the Early Deep River and the Western Carolina(about the same as Tennessee rifles) schools show them. There are also some with a pointed tail and the pan rounded off.

Latest posts

Back