• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersol sxs 12ga lite shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the Dixie double 10 kit several years ago. Very lite for a 10 gage. Also a very hard kicker with the max load. Mine came with open and improved choke barrels. I believe they're are alittle to pricy for me now.The quality could be alittle better as far as the locks are concerned. Other than that the gun does as expected. :v

I bought a pedraselli (sp ) double twelve for $150.00. Lets see, it was just a little while back, now I remember; my wife let me get it for my birthday. It was in 1971 back then it was a full weeks pay with 12 hours overtime.

[quI bought a pedraselli (sp ) double twelve for $150.00. Lets see, it was just a little while back, now I remember; my wife let me get it for my birthday. It was in 1971 back then it was a full weeks pay with 12 hours overtimeote][/quote]

I remember a saying that goes sota like "if you don't have to work for it ...it probably aint worth havin'".
....but i'd still have one even if they were givin' them a way!!

I bought one 10- 15 yrs ago ,got a nice turkey with it an some grouse,joy to shoot but comes back at you with stout loads bein so light,like to try it on geese but scared to shoot steel ,shoots round ball pretty good once you figure out where each barrel points,then again 90 grs ffg kinda hurts

I don't know about the older ones but the new ones have chrome lined bores and are perfectly fine with steel. I would use a plastic shot cup rated for steel even if it is not PC or HC. The paper shot cups that folks are making are not PC or HC either. They also won't hold up to heavy steel loads unless they are extremely thick.

If you get one through Cabela's they have threaded chokes that you can switch in and out.
It comes with three and there are a couple others available.

Bruce

They are a little tough to load with the screw in chokes but some say you can start the wads(cardboard) on edge and then complete as normal. I don't know how well that works, mine is a cyl bore so no problem there.
Dusty

Yes, if you just use cards for wads they turn and bend slightly and then you simply turn them as much as you can with the finger and let the rod do the rest. No fuss really :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy.

Hello Folks,

This is my very first post on this site, so here's to many more.

I picked up a 12 gauge Pedersoli side/side late last winter and have been shooting grouse here in North Dakota for the past couple of weeks. I'm finding this to be a truly deadly gun.

This upcoming weekend, I will be using it to hunt waterfowl. I have all the components I need--steel #3s, multi-metal plastic shot cups, etc...

My question for anyone "in the know" is how tough is it to start the shot cup in the barrel with the choke tubes screwed in? I have improved and modified cylinders currently in the gun and have ordered another improved choke from Cabelas.

If using Full choke (turkey hunting), I've been told to take out the choke tubes before loading, as it will be nearly impossible to pass the shot cup through the full choke.

Any insight would be appreciated!

--Joel

It will be difficult to got a modern plastic wad down past the choke. An over powder or over shot wad can be turned sideways and loaded and fiber cushion wads may be separated into 3-4 layers and loaded the same way. The modern wads are best loaded in the choke barrel by removing the choke tube. The IC barrel may be OK but modified and tighter will be a problem. Also whichever way you decide to go use an over powder wad under those plastic shot cups or they will deposit plastic in your barrel. Also modern plastic wads are about a gauge under the stated size. See this post it has some good info. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/224964/

Last edited by a moderator:
The full choke will be the trouble maker if any.
By all means lube the wads to help them in and out for that matter but consider making a short starter for them, something you can give a good whack on :thumbsup:

Britsmoothy

Thanks Runball,

I figured the IC would work alright, but I was concerned with the modified choke. Exactly the reason I've ordered an extra IC from Cabela's (source of gun in first place).

2nite, I'll see how the wad fits in the modified and report back. I will definitely still use an over powder card. While a bit more difficult than the IC barrel, I've had no problem getting the over powder card past the choke tube.

Take care. --Joel

You MIGHT-- I emphasize "might" -- be able to push a plastic wad down if you put a short starter into the wad, and give it a big WHACK, but anything more than Modified choke will probably produce a torn plastic cup. You will have to push the cops past the chokes, before pouring in the shot.

And, you definitely need an OP wad under that plastic shotcup, regardless of chokes. Otherwise, the Black Powder burns the base of that wad, which is one gauge undersized( for cartridge guns) and deposits residue in the barrel. That will make putting subsequent wads down the barrel more difficult, and eventually, impossible.

It helps to grease the bore of the barrel After seating the OS card on top of your shotcup. Just grease up a cleaning patch, and, using a jag on your rod, run the patch down and out the bore of the shotgun. The grease will allow the plastic cups to slide over the bore, rather than rub plastic off on it.

I can only assume you are hunting ducks, if you are using #3 steel shot. That shot is not large enough to reliably take geese, except within 20 yards, and then you would not need the chokes in your barrels.

Thanks for the good tips on using plastic wad cups. It will an adventure of sorts, but the rewards will be worth it.

In regard to shot size, I'm a firm believer in matching shot size to your situation at hand. I am hunting ducks primarily, but I never hesitate to shoot geese with #3s but place a few more restrictions on myself. If you are decoying geese and bringing them in close, #3s are more than adequate. If you're pass shooting or shooting at further distances, then use BBs or don't take the shot.

It's my opinion that too many people shoot at too far a distance far too often.

One more question on the Pedersoli S/S.

What is the purpose of the chrome-lined barrels in this particular shotgun?

Back