• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli 54 kentucky pistol for boar ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spot-on advice, a turkey call has helped me get close to a bunch of porkers and even calm a few deer as well over the course of 35 years I hunted the swamps and bottoms along the St. Johns. Sometimes I would add even a leafy branch to complete the illusion, dragging it behind me on a string.
And another quick caution, wear boots you can run in. I've been in a couple of footraces with pigs that had been sleeping in the palmettos and I didn't hear or see them. They're pretty doggone fast.....

And 10-4 0n shooting the small one!

To the OP: One of the two footraces I was in involved a 280lb boar that I hit directly behind the front leg with a 100 grain load at less than 20 yards with a 50 caliber percussion rifle. He ran off like he'd never been touched and 15 minutes later he still had enough steam to darn near run me down. Had it not been for a large brush pile I could run around he might well have gotten to me. Ears or neck is the ticket.

I say give it a try be as safe as possible but if you want to try it.The things most of us regret is not taking the chances to live when we could.If every one waited to do every thing on the safe side we would still be at Plymouth Rock. :hatsoff:

Providing you can put the ball where it needs to go (tight behind the shoulder center body) It will harvest any hog cleanly!! I have shot several hogs with recurves and longbows at under 20 yards and guided for many more shot with BP rifles and Pistols. On one hunt a gentleman took a 200lb hog with a .45cal BP pistol. 50 yard recovery of the hog. Hogs are not hard to kill providing your first shot is a good one. Avoid the head shots (angle of the scull from the front promotes deflections) Big boars will have thick shields in front and high over shoulder so look for an angling away shot aim just over 1/3 of the body and right behind the shoulder. You will have no issue what so ever!! Like any deer give them time after the shot and don't try and push him if the shot is good!! If you have a bad shot or get their adrenaline flowing you have one of the hardest animals to kill and I don't care what your shooting!! Have fun and good luck

Back