• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli .72 double rifle loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4GUNNER

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new here. Does anyone with personal experience or first hand knowledge know of any alternative loads for the .72 Kodiak other than the stock tight fitting .715 round ball. Im interested in changing over to a minnie or conical bullet either off-shelf or custom mold that had met with success in both regulated point accuracy, easier loading, more energy?

Thanks in advance... :grin:

i saw something about a conical mold for those. if i remeber correctly,they casted a 900 grain conical. i've had my eye on one of those rifles for a while now, look like they'd be a total adrenaline rush to shoot :grin:

Goin' after cape buffler? :shocked2:

Seriously, I grew up shooting slug guns. That sounds like a real good time.

Something I've debated doing is getting a .72 smoothbore or rifle and using regular 12 gauge slugs in it. Might try this if you're not worried about being period correct.

My idea was to fill the base of a foster slug with 3fg -- don't know how much that would be, but shouldn't be too much -- and wrap the entire thing with nitrated paper to keep the powder in place.

The cap should blow through the paper just fine, and the 3Fg should expand and propel the slug.

Greased up properly with, say, beeswax, leading shouldn't be much of a problem. No more than a minie ball, anyway.

Josh

Don't sell the round ball short. I killed a buffalo at a measured 100 yards with the .715 ball, .010 patch, 90 grs. GOEX FF. Hit buff twice, both balls went through the buff, both hit bones going in and out.

900 grn Slug would be fun to play with. Pedersoli's web site hasn't been helpful in finding said slug.

This will take some digging on your part, back through the archives of the site a couple of years or so. But there were some fellows back then experimenting with conicals in the Pedersoli 72. One was from South Africa if I recall correctly and had at least one version of a heavyweight conical mold made up. I don't remember the weight, but it was heavier than 900 grains by quite a bit. And of course, in Africa he had lots of uses for it.

Wish I could be more specific and point you to a link. Anyone else have it saved somewhere? My computer ate all my favorites a couple of months back, and I'm kinda hopping along on one leg without them.

I have a pair of Safaris AND I'm having built a pair of .72-caliber flintlock English-style Sporting rifles. All barrels' twists are 1:72 inches, the flintlocks' barrel blanks having either taper bore or choke bore.

Last week I visited Steve Brooks who has a small box filled with Big Bore conical bullets whose molds he has made. One bullet, whose mold I did not bid on a month ago on an auction site, drops 883-grain 30:1 (Steve recommends 30:1 for all muzzleloading conicals) round nose flat point bullet .925-inch long. He has an otherwise identical bullet [mold] with massive hollow point at just over 800 grains. I saw several other shorter bullets as well.

I do not identify diameters of driving bands or other nuances of the bullet because my mold is being built to the barrel dimensions Steve mic'd on my barrel blanks.
Those who believe the bullets are too long for the rate of twist - I used an on-line stability calculator that confirmed .925-inch bullet will be stable in .72-caliber 1:72 barrels between 1000 and 1800 fps.

I confirmed the on-line calculator's findings by solving Greenhill's Formula for longest bullet that stabilizes in .72-caliber 1:72 barrels.

Both sets of calculations are a comfortable "go." And the on-line stability calculator will probably confirm stability at still lower muzzle velocity than 1000 fps. I typed "probably" because I have not filled in the blanks.
Mr. Brooks' solid mold sells for $220 plus shipping, with three-week delivery. I expect hollow point version to be somewhat more expensive. And if he could create a mold with plugs that allow caster to create hollow point bullets OR solids by changing plugs, we're talking about still more mold cost.

Hope this helps.

A 1:66 to 1:72 ROT will be just fine for a PRB. If you plan to shoot conicals, I hope you have strong bones, you'll need them! While you're at it, tie a pillow to your butt. :rotf: You will also need a fast twist, between 1:30 and 1:48. Actually, even if you use it for African game, a PRB will be a plenty. That thing is a freight train in motion, so why punish yourself with a conical?

I purchased one of the first 100 (Serial no) Kodiak Express Safari guns when it was called Trail Guns Armory. It was in .58 caliber and was told by the inventer himself to use REAL bullets and 140 gr. FFg. I was to go on the first safari with his newly designed rifle, but something came up and I had to miss the trip. My shoulder still hurts when I think about it. There was an article in Muzzle Blasts (I think) which he later said that a PRB is actually better for penetration. Next to him was a rhino that they accidently woke up from a sleep.

Keep that in mind before you spend $220 for a conical mould and say to yourself after you fired the first shot, "what was I thinking"?!

If you decide to follow through with it, can you take a video and post it on utube? I would like to see how much that is going to kick!

Post actually meant for Cwo4gunner

I spent most of my hunting years shooting 12 ga. slugs- the hollow-based- Foster slugs. I would think that IF YOU CAN find a lead slug designed for shooting in a .72 caliber rifle, a 3 dram load of 2Fg powder would be all you want to fire with that heavy slug.

A 12 gauge round ball weighs approx. 1 1/8 oz. or over 500 grains. I don't know any critter than walks on the N. American Continent that will not fall when hit by such a heavy, and large diameter RB. A RB made of pure lead will expand faster in flesh and bone, than even a Foster slug of the same lead. The hole punched through internal organs, and out the other side is Enormous, placing great shock to organs, and central nervous system, while causing immediate, and large amount of hemorrhaging internally and externally.

The weight of the gun, vs. the recoil of a 12 gauge slug is going to be the limiting factor as to what distance you can accurately shoot that slug, even out of a rifle. I know that there are groups of slug shooters who are regularly target shooting off rests with these large slugs at 200 yds. But they are using heavy barreled( usually 10 gauge barrels with a 12 gauge bore in them) to add weight up front, and wide butt stocks to distribute the recoil over a larger area of the shoulder. NO ONE is trying to shoot these same loads at that distance out of a double rifle, to my knowledge.

This is America, the land of the Free, and home of the Brave. You are certainly entitled to make up and shoot anything you want, no matter how much it hurts to do so. I support your right to do it, too. But, I have to ask why you would want to subject either the gun, or your body to the heavy recoil that such a gun will generate??? Think about it. I don't expect an answer- its a rhetorical question, instead. :surrender: :hmm: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

The Pedersoli Kodiak rifle is truely an awesome heavy duty rifle ( in .58 cal. )
I have taken moose with mine.
It shoots .58 round ball well. Minnie balls not so well!
A 525 grain bullet and 120 grains of 2f starts to get ugly at both ends.
Accuracy starts to slide with flinch & recoil, barrel rifleing on the .58 is not compatible with .525 minnie balls also.
Also blast from the nipples start to hurt, and nipple life is short, with heavy bullets.
So, good luck with your hunt for .72 call bullets.
Old Ford

This thread made me think of another shoulder thumping rife. A modern Weatherby 460 mag. It is said NOT to shoot more than four rounds in an hour to prevent retenal detachment.

I may think about the recoil a .72 conical will set up? :hmm:

flintlock62 said:
This thread made me think of another shoulder thumping rife. A modern Weatherby 460 mag. It is said NOT to shoot more than four rounds in an hour to prevent retenal detachment.

I may think about the recoil a .72 conical will set up? :hmm:

I've owned and shot a 460 for years, and that's a little overstated, but not by much. If I'm benching it, all shots are from a standing bench. Otherwise it's offhand only. And I know I've been shooting when I go through a whole box in a session.

I don't own the 72 Kodiak, but have had the pleasure of shooting one with round balls a fair bit. Yeah, I said "pleasure." With 120 grains of 2f it doesn't kick anywhere near as hard as a Bess with 100 grain charges, mostly because it's so much heavier out front. And I don't think that's a hard kicking load in the Bess. In fact I've shot 140 grain loads in the Kodiak, and they're nowhere near as stiff as 3 1/2" turkey loads I've shot from modern shotguns.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it with conicals, mostly because it's not mine and the owner isn't inclined. Sad to say, he's never been inclined to my offers to buy or trade for it either! :rotf: Judging from comparisons of ball and conical in various 58's though, I'm guessing a stiff charge behind a conical would definitely push it beyond my example of the 3 1/2" turkey load.

I shoot PRb in mine with 140gr FFg and have never had the unfired load slip from recoil, BUT!!! With a conical I would be concerned with the unfired barrel having the slug slip with a strong possibility of a bulged or ruptured barrel. I had considered paper Patching to prevent this but have not tried this. Be very careful as the risk of a slipped slug is far more than increased recoil. :v

I had a chance to buy a .72 Kodiak from a guy for about $550. Probably could have got it for $500. This fellow was quite large, maybe 350 pounds, easy, and he had shot it with round balls from the bench. Said it rocked him too hard, LOL. IIRC, it didn't weigh all that much when I handled it, so I can image the recoil could be unpleasant, especially given the steel butt plate. I should think that the shotgun slugs would be worth a try but I would start a bit light on the powder and work my way up.

A .72 Kodiak shooting slugs can have quite a recoil but being a muzzleloader some adjustment of the powder charge can make a difference.

Just my observation over the years but great bit heavy folks always seem to be damaged more by a heavy recoil than thinner folks.

The thin folks tend to be moved around more by it but it usually doesn't hurt them nearly as badly.

That movement spreads the force out over a longer period of time and a greater distance resulting in less force being absorbed at any one period of time. Rather like hitting the brakes hard and stopping in a few feet versus hitting a rock wall and stopping almost instantly.

When I said he was large, I didn't mean NFL linebacker large. Kind of as in wide as he was tall. I expect he mounted the gun much like a modern centerfire. Not exactly a bench friendly stock on those. Once had a Savage Model 1920 in .300 Savage with a "pre-War" stock at less than seven pounds. Was near brutal benched.

the best for Kodiak is whitesmoke from RSA
I have Kodiak .58 and .72.
I shooting cal.58 LEE Real and Pedersoli USA 309.577 620 gr, Kodiak cal.72 RB .715 and 820gr minie, big ogival from Mike Neumann RSA, special bullet mould.

Back