• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli flinter ???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old ugly

40 Cal.
Reaction score
i have a line on a pedersoli pennsylvania flinter 50cal..
have any of you guys owned or used one ? how reliable ? accurate ? would it make a good deer hunting gun ? or should i look for a different maker ?

any thoughts greatly welcomed .
thanks o/u

I have a Pedersoli Cub .50 and have killed a passel of deer with it. It is quite accurate and in fact made the longest shot I've ever taken on a deer. I've got a flint lock and percussion lock with it and have taken deer with both installed. Quality wise it is a nice rifle. The flint locks, like any factory locks, are a crapshoot. Sometimes they are reliable sometimes they're not. Usually a bit of tuning will help that. For absolute reliability a name brand American lock is the only way to go.

I have a Pedersoli .45 Blue Ridge flinter. It is very accurate and reliable. Your .50 caliber should make a great deer rifle. Be sure to check the condition of the bore and that the lock functions properly.

I'm not a huge fan of Pedersoli percussion locks, but I think their flintlocks are fine. If it's a good buy I wouldn't hesitate.

Spot

I'm just getting acquainted with a Pedersoli 50 cal Frontier flinter. It's more reliable than I am. When I do my part, it goes bang every single time and hits exactly where the sights are pointed. Heck, I went out in a drizzle the other day, and before long it turned into a downpour. Learned a whole lot more than I planned on that day, but when I did my part, it still went bang.

i found out that the gun is 45cal. i don,t know if i want to go smaller than 50cal as i may want to shoot something bigger than a deer someday .

thanks for the replys
o/u

A lot would depend on what else you have in your rack, for sure. But in my uses being 45 rather than 50 would make it even more attractive. While I frequently use my various 50's for head smacking small game, I'd be happier doing it with a 45. Though my 50's and a 45 would technically be "deer" guns, in truth I use them lots more for small game than deer, both in terms of days in the field and shots fired at game. Heck, I also use my 54's and 58's more often for small game than for large game.

I sure wouldn't let the 45 cal chase you away from a good deal, because you're likely to enjoy that rifle a bunch. It would be a giant step for me to take a 50 for game larger than deer, so being a 45 rather than a 50 really wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I have a pennsylvania in 45. I got it as a kit . it is a great shooting gun. I've had it for 2 years now and killed many squirrels with it and a deer. The kit was alittle pricey and knowing what I know now I would have got something alittle more PC for just a bit more but its still a great gun. I also have a frontier rifle in 36 cal. Its a good gun but I find myself carrying my pennsylvania more because I built it. If its a good deal jump on it!!! Andy

I have Pedersoli's "Pennsylvania Rifle", flintlock in .50 cal. I got it as a kit from Dixiegun. She's accurate, realiable, beautiful and loyal. i'm in love with her... :redface: hahaha!

I have a Pedersoli .54 Blue Ridge flinter. It is a fine shooting rifle. I also would take a .45 over a .50. Larry Wv

I was talking to a Game Warden today. He has a .36 Pedersoli Blue Ridge. Said he has taken several hogs with it. He must be a brave man. I wouldn't worry about a .45 :rotf:

Bought one, 50 cal from DGW about 2 years ago, had to work on the cock, Pedersoli sent me a new one with the correct geometry. They were good to work with. Love the rifle, acurate, I can see the front sight, the kids at 4-H have probably shot more than I.

I use my .32 on hogs often. Just pick and choose your shots, and maybeso leave the BIGUNS alone......... :rotf:

I have a pedersoli 50 cal frontier rifle that has interchangeable flintlock and percussion locks. I highly recommend it. It is a reliable and attractive gun.

Blueridger;
I have just replaced my lock on my blueridge with a flintlock! Now it looks rreal fine. I will be ordering some English Flints from Track also a vent liner. Which one do I need! Thanks!!

Yep, 7/8" flints. I ment which vent liner? From the Track. Hatfield or Pedersoli?

Back