• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier Flint Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WV_Creeker said:
I'm in the market for a new lock for my new-to-me .36 Frontier. The Full Cock notch in the tumbler is stripped and the tumbler itself is soft. $48+shipping for a new one, so I was thinking of just upgrading to the L&R. Never had an issue with my .50 Frontier lock, but for the price difference, I figure the L&R from TOW would be a better upgrade than a replacement from Pedersoli. Is the L&R a direct replacement with only minor inletting? I know both of my frontiers have a screw in front of the frizzen spring, but the L&R pictured on TOW for this rifle does not seem to have a hole drilled there. Do I need to drill one or will the main lock screw suffice?
The L&R Lock I used on my TC had the lock bolt drilled and threaded already. Minor inletting was needed but it came with instructions as well.

Several respondents thought I should be working with Mr Beauchamp of Flintlocks, etc since they are the US Distributor for Pedersoli. To close this, I thought I would post Mr Beauchamp's response to my query on this lock's quality issues:

Mr Beauchamp wrote:

I HAVE FOUND THAT THE FAULTS OF THE FRONTIER FLINT LOCK ARE FROM THE ORIGINAL HATFIELD RIFLE THAT IT WAS COPIED FROM BUT IT STILL WORKS OK.
PEDERSOLI TAKES AN ORIGINAL GUN AND TAKES IT APART AND COPIES ALL THE PIECES SO IF THERE WAS A FLAW IT IS COPED TO MAKE IT A REPRODUCTION GUN.
NOT THE BEST SYSTEM IN MY OPINION.SORRY THAT THIS HAPPENED.

Thank you,
Richard Beauchamp
Flintlocks, Etc.

Since many here have reported having this lock without these issues, I find this hard to believe, but it appears they feel this is the standard quality for this lock and is "OK." Keep in mind, this lock costs $50 more than a Chambers! Of course, one would only get it to quickly change out the percussion version.

It does truly appear that no one in the Pedersoli supply chain, including themselves, is willing to take any responsibility for this really low-quality lock. I did get my money back from Dixie for the lock itself, but am out about $20 for shipping both ways I'll never recover.

That's nonsense. The lock you got was a production reject. I have two of those locks, one each company, and they're fine.

He's been confused about a piece vs. design. Pointless.

Spikebuck said:
Mr Beauchamp wrote:

PEDERSOLI TAKES AN ORIGINAL GUN AND TAKES IT APART AND COPIES ALL THE PIECES SO IF THERE WAS A FLAW IT IS COPED TO MAKE IT A REPRODUCTION GUN.
NOT THE BEST SYSTEM IN MY OPINION.SORRY THAT THIS HAPPENED.

Thank you,
Richard Beauchamp
Flintlocks, Etc.[/i]

If that's truely the case about copying, then where'd that screw come from on the nose of a Pedersoli lock? :idunno:

My Hatfield ain't got one of them! :rotf:

Back