• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Jaeger thoughts?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am just wondering what your thoughts are about the Pedersoli Jaeger.

The challenge is that out here in California we have to hunt with all copper bullets in Condor country...even with muzzleloaders.

The Pedersoli Jaeger is able to shoot sabots as well as round ball because it has a compromise rate of twist.

Frankly it's been a great gun so far. But am I missing something with this short barrel?

If I show up at gatherings and rendezvous with it, are normal trekkers going to burst out laughing?

You will have no problem fitting in at any rendezvous or shoot. Folks arent there to judge what others do or donot have. The important thing is that you GO! Once you do,you will see for yourself there's nothing like it and you will meet some of the finest people on earth.

BTW....Patched Round Ball and Black Powder are the food of choice at most events LOL!

I agree with R.E.M. Go and have a good time ask questions. There was a fellow I knew in the army that retired and moved that way and he built long rifles and the folks there took a while to warm up to the long rifles.

Do go and enjoy. Maybe the day will come when you can acquire a second rifle for traditional events. Then you can relegate the Ped. for satisfying Kalifonia Condor laws. Sad state of affairs y'all have out there. :(

I will plan on it. The rendezvous is covering the period 1790-1843. Would my Jaeger or my percussion Lyman GP .54 be a better fit? Also when were Jaegers used? Thanks.

wahkahchim said:
I will plan on it. The rendezvous is covering the period 1790-1843. Would my Jaeger or my percussion Lyman GP .54 be a better fit? Also when were Jaegers used? Thanks.

Both would fit. Jaegers were created on the 8th day and are still in use.

Neither, both are 20th century designs, and look nothing like guns of that period, and style. I wouldn't want Italians making my snitzel, nor have Germans make my Pizza. The Lyman is closer to correct but still needs work to come close to correct. If you do a little research, you will see the glaring discepencies. I'm not a thread counter, but if you are going to portray a period, do the homework, and get as accurate as possible.

Bill

wahkahchim said:
The challenge is that out here in California we have to hunt with all copper bullets in Condor country...even with muzzleloaders.

i dont know where you are, but zone D-14 which is the san bernardino mountains isnt in the lead ban zone. you need to check each area individually.

My family and I camp and backpack about 3 days a month. We have a tradition of hunting which goes back to the time my ancestors on my father's side arrived...1846...and my mother's ancestors arrived...about 10,000 years ago. These guns support a lifestyle which is incredibly more complex than what kind of gun we use.

So I am thinking that Bill is right...we're just screwed, in terms of historical accuracy.

I think we should just go hunt, make our acorn, make our jerky, cook in Dutch ovens, and let the history people do their thing while we do ours. Tell me if I'm wrong, but what I'm hearing is that both guns are good for genuine use but not historically accurate.

And I can't get historically accurate guns because I need a rapid twist for the copper sabots...or I can drive 500 miles to hunt. So I suppose the best way to approach this is to leave the history to others...who don't really live it...and go teach my kids how to live it for real.

Bill of the 45th Parallel said:
Neither, both are 20th century designs, and look nothing like guns of that period, and style. I wouldn't want Italians making my snitzel, nor have Germans make my Pizza. The Lyman is closer to correct but still needs work to come close to correct. If you do a little research, you will see the glaring discepencies. I'm not a thread counter, but if you are going to portray a period, do the homework, and get as accurate as possible.

Bill

He asked which is a "better fit". He didn't ask which was a perfectly/exactly correct rifle that would be found in that area at that time.
He has what he has. The GP might not fit anything perfectly. But it is what it is and won't transform magically if we tell him it is wrong.
And Jaegers may be second only to the flintlock musket with regards to being ubiquitous in the history of firearms.

Hi Rifleman! My challenge is that I'm trying to teach the use of these guns to young people. My family has done all these things for all these centuries and now...in my generation...others in the family have sold off the cattle ranch and I'm searching for venues in which I can at least teach my kids. I'm trapped a bit between two fires: on the one hand, I need to be able to afford guns that can be reasonably accurate portrayals and also genuinely useable by an 18 year old young man or woman to bag a deer or a hog...with government required copper sabots. The Lyman GP does this because we can simply change barrels for that faster twist. The Pedersoli Jaeger does it because it also sports a faster twist. And both shoot lead balls as well, albeit not as accurately as we might desire. On the other hand, what I'm learning here is that if these guns aren't 100% realistic, then we need to stay away from serious historical gatherings and just do our thing. I tell the young people who are doing this with me that we are people in the 21st Century who are choosing the path of our ancestors so this fits right in. On the other hand, I'm also learning on this forum that there are plenty of "unserious" historical gatherings who will welcome us. There's a lot I still don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
At a rendevous or general BP shoot you will do fine with either rifle. The only problem comes if you do living history events to which the public is invited(or you run with a particularly hard-core group of friends), and then you run into the problem of giving members of the public, who probably don't know any better, misinformation that gives them a skewed impression of the time period you are presenting.

As long as you are not trying to tell the public that either gun is a historically accurate reproduction, you should be fine.

If you want to "get it right" for a particular time period, then you need to contact a gunmaker who specializes in historically correct firearms for your chosen era - people like Allen Martin, Eric Kettenburg, Roy Stroh, Mike Brooks, Leonard Day, or the Rifle Shoppe, among others. Don't throw away either rifle you have yet; you'll have to wait a while before your chosen gun is ready - perhaps years! In the meantime, save up some money, and keep shooting what you have.

Sounds like you are doing fine with what you have. Only way to get things perfectly period correct is to spend a boatload, or two, for custom guns that will exactly, perzactly fit the time periods in question.
Carry on. :thumbsup:

Col. Moultrie, the best contact I've had so far is with Leonard Day. He's very accessable and doesn't talk down to me as I learn about the 17th Century. I got a Dutch Trade gun from him which works great, which I now can't use for hunting in California...it's my go-to gun when I visit my sister in New Hampshire.

Next best is Gary White of White Muzzleloading. I got a wheellock rifle from him...also unuseable in California.

And third would be Pete at Middlesex Village Trading Company. Yes, he sells India guns. He's been very helpful though.

Then I found this forum, and historical trekking. Even the arguments are educational.

I might add that we grew up in central California on an 8,000 acre ranch thinking that the entire US east of the Mississippi was pavement...how ironic that my sister and brother in law in New Hampshire have MUCH MORE access to wilderness and flintlock hunting than I do!

As I said before, I have a lot to learn. Thanks for your input.

I use my Dutch Trade Gun for my reenacting, and I love it. I haven't dealt with Doc White, but I have an all-steel Scottish (India) pistol from MVTC, and like that too, for what it is.

Can you use the Dutch Trade Gun with non-toxic shot, or are you talking solely about large game?

I have been wondering if a 20 gauge can be effective on turkeys. I would like to take my Dutch Trade gun for spring turkeys in New Hampshire. I've never tried to pattern it.

wahkahchim said:
I have been wondering if a 20 gauge can be effective on turkeys. I would like to take my Dutch Trade gun for spring turkeys in New Hampshire. I've never tried to pattern it.

Belive I have heard it is. I haven't used my new one for that yet but suspect I might be trying. :wink:

I can't speak for a Black Powder 20 gauge but my Dad has hunted with a modern A5 20 gauge shotgun most of his life.
I have seen him drop everything from quail to Geese with the right load.
I remember a prairie chicken I thought was out of range drop stone dead with one shot.
Don't let anyone talk down a 20ga.

A little time and patience with the 20 and you should have no problem harvesting a turkey.

BTW I would love to have a Jaeger.

Back