• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky feeding...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H.W. French

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I've been shooting cap for quite a few years and finally made the plunge into flint. Just received a new Pedersoli Kentucky in 45 calibre. The manual has load suggestions but I was wondering what has worked best for you? I will be traveling to a show in the next couple of weeks for some real Black, but for now I only have Pyrodex P (that I use in my revolver) and a small amount of 4F. Any recommendations on flints (French, English, American)? Gettin' ready to make up an order for Track's and would appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks for your consideration.

I bought the Pedersoli percussion and flintlock pistols and the first thing I did was to have trigger jobs done on both, it made a difference.

22 grains 3F
7F in the pan or NullB
.440 ball
.015 teflon patching
5/8" English flints

6 o'clock hold at 25 yards and at 50 yards, puts the ball in the 10 ring on NMLRA 25 and 50 yard pistol targets.

You can make up some wood flints to practice your dry firing.

Enjoy.

RDE

Welcome to the forum :hatsoff: . Congradulations on your first flinter. Of course, you know to use only black powder, no Pyrodex or any other sub powder. In my .45 Kentucky pistol I use a .440 ball, pillow ticking patch, 20 grains of FFFg Goex and about 3 grains of FFFFg Goex for prime. If you know the size of flint, you can use Black English or contact Rich Pierce on the forum here. He knaps white Missouri chert, which works great and at a great price :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum. :)

While your using the Pyrodex expect some looooong hang fires or no fires.

Pyrodex has an ignition temperature of about 800 degrees F while real black powder ignites at about 400 degrees F.

That difference can make for some real delays.

I really don't recommend using 4Fg powder inside your barrel for any purpose.
Now, if it was 3Fg you could drop about 5 grains down the bore under 15 grains of Pyrodex and the gun would work pretty well (until you got some real black powder for loading it).

Thanks for your responses. Looks like I'm beginning a new learning curve (hope it's not too steep). Can't wait to get some more real Black.
--French

Latest posts

Back