• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli sxs ramrod retention suggestion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a pedersoli sxs 12ga, actually I have several....but the newer ones come with a screw to keep tje ramrod from sliding out about 4 inches or so upon firing the first shot. The screw helps and seems
To work with lower powerd shots. If you
Bump the powder charge anything above about 70 it too will slide out. What do other do to help mitigate this issue? Is there a larger headed screw? For this older gun I will have to drill and tap it. Is there a specific screw that is readily available? Below is 3 pics...one is the newer pedersoli, one the older pedersoli with no screw, and the other a photo I found of possibly an original sxs and what they may have used in the past. I don't have the ability to do anything like that but just showing you. Anything will help, thanks in advance, as I am no gun builder

Attachments

• 20240807_212522.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20240807_212535.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240731_145533_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240731_145533_Chrome.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Sorry, two of your three pics aren't displaying as thumbnails, probably because the file size is too large, but if they're clicked on they will display in a new tab.

Any thing that is about that size, this one started out as a finish nail because it was handy. Measure the material and drill the hole one or two thousandths smaller, drive it in then file it off. Simple yet effective.

Like a nail or what? Where can I get this specific pin?
Probably what would work best in this application is what's called a "taper pin" and you can find them at any hardware store. You would have to drill your hole to slightly larger than the small end, then cut the pin to fit. It also looks like the pin in @Phil Coffins gun is bevelled on one side; I'm assuming that's to make it easier to push the tip of the ramrod up, over and into its stowed position.

Here's a suggestion to try put a blob of JB Weld about 2 to 3 inches below the ram rod end high enough to restrict the RR from easily moving. Easily removable if it does not work out.:dunno:

Well the pin idea seems like it would do the trick, but I was hoping for a screw with a taller head that perhaps someone has used with success and could point me too it. The pin looks un finished in my opinion but it not out of the question. I may end up doing just that. All of my pedersolis are so clean, and so I don't want to take away from it.

Can you just back the screw out a little and lock-thread it? What about putting a bigger head on the ramrod (the Pedersoli ones are somewhat undersized anyway)? I have 5 Pedersoli's, two with screws and two with "studs" from the factory and have not had the problem with any. I generally use a 1 1/8-oz scoop of powder and shot in the 12 so that's more than your 70gr threshold where you're experiencing this. I'm saying not to overthink it but go back to basics and see if there's a remedy already there. Otherwise, keep it simple.

I already have after market ramrods with large heads....my newer pedersoli has the screw and works somewhat, my other/older pedersoli has nothing from the factory to help retain the ramrod. That's the one
I'm most concerned with. The one with the screw works most loads, except duck loads, it's a 10ga.... @Britsmoothy Says the same thing about his, poor retention.

Can you just back the screw out a little and lock-thread it? What about putting a bigger head on the ramrod (the Pedersoli ones are somewhat undersized anyway)? I have 5 Pedersoli's, two with screws and two with "studs" from the factory and have not had the problem with any. I generally use a 1 1/8-oz scoop of powder and shot in the 12 so that's more than your 70gr threshold where you're experiencing this. I'm saying not to overthink it but go back to basics and see if there's a remedy already there. Otherwise, keep it simple.
Do you have a Pic of your ones with "studs"?

I have a pedersoli sxs 12ga, actually I have several....but the newer ones come with a screw to keep tje ramrod from sliding out about 4 inches or so upon firing the first shot. The screw helps and seems
I have also owned a few, though I have never seen one with a ramrod ‘retention’ screw, nor found the need for one. Currently only own only one, a 1978 vintage 12 gauge example that weighs in at about 5.8 lbs, while another one I called the ‘beast’ (weighed well over 7 lbs) that has moved on, so limited sampling, but I would like to think the ramrod retention issue is resolvable with a different ramrod. The ‘beast’ (it balanced like a door removed from a 1970s two door muscle car) came with two ramrods, one the OEM and the other an aftermarket. The aftermarket ramrod would slide out of place if the gun held below horizontal.

Look at the gun’s ramrod, may be an easy fix. It should provide ‘natural’ retention.

Latest posts

Back