• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Tryon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpdrifter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody ever shoot/own one?

I just stumbled upon a Tryon Delux Target 50 cal. Nice shape; only muzzleloader I've seen around these parts that someone has taken care of. I mean the bore is shiny. A few dinks on the stock, nothing real bad.

Got for $500 out the door.

Not really a Tryon fan, but I just couldn't resist.

Over the years, I've owned two of them.

One, which I sold, was in .50 caliber.

The other one is a .45 caliber rifle.

It has a 1 inch octagon barrel and with only a .45 caliber bore it is quite hefty. Then again, it is designed as a target rifle.

I installed a Vernier rear peep sight along with a
hooded Globe front sight with interchangable sight inserts.

This makes it illegal for many muzzleloading shooting matches but I gave up competing long ago so that isn't a big issue.

It is an exceptionally accurate rifle after finding the right patch/ball combination. (Don't ask. It has been many years since I shot it and I don't recall what actually worked best.)

The only problem I had with it was I had to set the rear trigger before I could set the lock to full cock.
At first, I thought it was because the trigger was a Double Set, Single lever type but that proved to not be true. The triggers were actually Double Set, Double Lever style and the factory had inlet them a little too deep into the stock.

A couple of strokes with a flat mill file lowered the rear triggers blade (lever) so now the lock can be fully cocked and fired without needing to set the rear trigger.
That allows firing the rifle using only the front trigger if desired.
Of course, doing that isn't the best for target shooting but at least I know the triggers work like they should.

For several years, these Pedersoli Tryon rifles took first place in International competition.

IMO, $500 is an excellent price for one of these rifles. You done good. :grin:

Thanks Zonie.

Some one had the set trigger adjustment screw all the way in. Kinda worried about that. But, being a sorta kinda blackpowder gunsmith/mechanic, I wasn't too worried about it.

Got home and turned the screw out a couple or 5 turns, trigger worked just fine.

Been looking around the web and found a "fine guns" store that advertised this particular rifle at $1860. I don't know how many they sell at that price, but I imagine one would make a tidy profit. I figured it was about a $900 or $1000 rifle new.

Anyway for ~$460 plus tax, I'm happy.

Now if I can just figure out what I did with my .490 balls. I went 54 cal a few years back and put them somewhere I can't find. I never throw anything away!

I'm believing that.

Finally shot it and all the patches had what looked to be land cuts. I don't believe it had been shot.

I have the exact same gun in 50. caliber. It is a great shooter. I have installed a Skinner rear peep sight and a lyman globe front site. My gun is slightly over bore, it requires a .500 ball with a .015 patch to shoot good groups. Love the back action lock, and it is a pretty gun.

I have a Tryon in 45. Heres a link to my enquiry about it.
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/230221/post/675258/hl//fromsearch/1/

Mine is in super shape. I almost think it might have been someone's fancy wall hanger. I hate to admit it but when I bought it I was having trouble with a Parkinson's like condition and just couldn't hold it steady. I kept it stored away. I can hold steady now but I still haven't taken it out to shoot. I might as well make it a wall hanger myself.

They are great rifles. You got a very good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fyrstyk, I'm gonna have to try some .495 with thick patch as my loads are fairly easy to ram home.

Kansas Vol. I think mine was a wall hanger itself. I don't really think it had ever been shot. The lands are still sharp. Hope you shoot it soon.

I tried a .495 with at .018 and with .o30 patches, but they still went down the bore very easy with only two fingers on the ram rod. The .500 ball with a .015 patch requires a smart smack on the short starter to get in introduced to the bore, and ten a firm one-handed grip on the ram rod to seat the ball on the powder. This combo gave me the best accuracy. don't know if the barrels were made this way on purpose. It took me a while to find the right combo, and now I have bought a mold to cast the .500 balls.

In 1983 Mike P. from Trails Guns in League City, TX let me go through all of his Tryon's to pick one, it has really nice wood.

It has won a lot of silouhette matches and one Texas silouhette title in Texas.

It has harvested numerous critters.

If I had to pick my last rifle to part with, it would be the Tryon.

I like the style of the rifle and workmanship.

rde

thanks fyrstyk.

Richard, I don't think I would have bought a Tryon on a bet before seeing one in person and see it fit and finish. Nice workmanship.

It HAS kinda grown on me!

What size nipple does it take? I haven't seen a specific application/chart for it. I think it's a 1/4-28. Looked at TOW and they don't list one specifically for it. the just say "most" Pedersolis.

Nipple size is 1/4 X 28, I prefer the 1/4 X 28, Hot Shot nipples from T/C.

I really like the Tryon, it just seems to fit me.

I ordered the Pedersoli Hawken, mine was in the first container into the U.S., it just does not fit me for some reason.

Pedersoli, has become my favorite maker.

Yep, for store bought guns, Pedersoli is hard to beat. They make fine guns. Other than my modern guns, I don't own any store bought guns. I built all but one of my muzzleloaders. That one custom made rifle was made by a fellow by the name of Boltinghouse and it is a real beauty. But, if I were to buy a store bought muzzleloading rifle, I would be looking at Pedersoli rifles. I really like them and think they are excellently made guns. :thumbsup:

I do not have the talent to build rifles, I know my limitations.

I for the most part have put my dollars into pistols which is my true interest.

If there was a builder close, I would have a nice rifle built, but there is not one. I prefer fondling rifles to see if they fit me.

Boltinghouse, is he a Texas builder (?), name is familiar.

Went into Tip Curtis place at Phoenix and Friendship with cash in my pocket, still buying Pedersoli, he would not wait on me or my wife.

My one want is a Pedersoli Mortimer.

I did find a Pedersoli Kodiak Express with PP plus wood from Trail Guns, thus far it appears to be un-fired.

Richard Eames said:
Boltinghouse, is he a Texas builder (?), name is familiar.

I understand that he used to live in Georgetown but has moved. He still lives in Texas and I think it is not too far from Georgetown, possibly in Bastrop, but I don't know for sure. I also understand that he quit building rifles and now is into making custom knives. I think Joe Wolf knows more about him and his whereabouts. I think he may have a brother who is building rifles but I am not sure. Check with Joe (old grey wolf).

Latest posts

Back