• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli vs. Traditions for First Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRDRI

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on what will be my first flinter. I've had it in my mind for a couple years that I want to get myself a flintlock long rifle. It will be used for casual shooting for fun, very likely whitetail hunting, and possibly for a "woods walk" shoot at a club. I have no plans for reenacting, so historical accuracy isn't as important as shooting good and generally looking like Daniel Boone.

I would love a custom built rifle, but those are way out of my price range. I have given some thought to buying a decent kit like TOTW or such, but the cost of the kit combined with my novice woodworking skills makes me leary of botching it.
(also I'd like to be shooting this fall. A kit may be a good second flinter that I can take my time to build.)

I did see some places like Sitting Fox have guns "in the white", for more money that a kit, but less than a finished rifle. That I feel I could tackle, but I haven't seen such a rifle for sale that was exactly what I want.

I have a strong preference for .50 cal since I've got percussion guns in that caliber. I definately want a full stocked rifle with a barrel of approx 40 inches. I know a shorter barrel would be more handy in the woods, but I want the true long rifle look and feel. Also, a reliable and quality lock is a must.

That being said, I'm strongly leaning towards a Pedersoli Frontier/ Cabela's Blue Ridge. Another contender is a Traditions Pennsylvania. The Traditions is a bit more money, but has lot of brass inlays that I honestly don't feel I need.

The Traditions is 1 in 66 twist so will be roundball only. The Pedersoli is 1 in 48 so I could shoot maxiballs if I ever wanted. The Pedersoli has a 39" barrel and lists at 7 1/4" pounds. The Traditions has a 40" barrel and weighs 8 1/2 pounds. I would venture to guess it has a heavier barrel contour but I haven't found a spec on it.

My gut says get the Pedersoli for the lighter weight, more versitile twist, and more conservative look.

I've done and rambled on and don't think I've actually asked a question yet. If you've read this far and would care to offer some advice or affirmation of my thought process, I'd be appreciative.

Jason

I have a DP smooth bore adn liek it quality is very good and shoot great now i have some VA guns they are ok
I just bought the traditions shennadoah rifle smaller version of the penn long rifle
i jsut got it and from what i have been told its a good shooter but the DP gun i have is far the best shooter and the nices workmanship of any non custom gun i have

Welcome to the forum and to the world of flintlocks. My wife bought me a .45 Blue Ridge flinter about 15 years ago. It was my first flinter and really got me hooked on flintlocks. The only thing I did was to drill the touch hole to 1/16th" and changed the front sight to a thin silver blade. As I filed down the factory front sight, it became too thick for a good sight picture. The Blue Ridge has a fast and reliable lock and shoots straight. It's long, slender and just feels good. I recently picked up a 220 grain T/C .45 cal. Maxi Ball mold. I was surprised how well they shot out of that Blue Ridge. For a production gun, I have to give the Blue Ridge a big thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !

JRDRI said:
I know a shorter barrel would be more handy in the woods, but I want the true long rifle look and feel.

I’ve never had a problem with a longer barrel in the woods. Unless you’re climbing into a tree stand, in my opinion, it’s not really an issue. Balance and heft can be an issue on a straight octagon barrel, but in .50 cal on that gun, that’s not really an issue either. It’s not like carrying a swamped barrel, for sure, but it’s not overly heavy and is just fine to carry. I think you’d be happy with the pedersoli if you can get one for a good price.

Go with the Pedersoli. The quality will make you glad that you did.

Pedersoli's locks are certainly a cut above Traditions and that is especially true of the two rifles you're looking at. The Blue Ridge has a large lock which takes a 7/8" flint while the Traditions Penn rifle uses a small lock which takes a 5/8" flint. The bigger flint striking a bigger frizzen just makes more sparks and that means faster and more certain ignition.
I tried flintlocks several times over a span of 25 years and gave up on them. I either traded them off or converted them to percussion. I got a Blue Ridge flint .45 about 20 years ago and discovered for the first time that I could actually be happy with a flintlock and could shoot it well. I still have that one, it still shoots well, and I don't expect I'll ever part with it. I definitely recommend the Blue Ridge flint. :thumbsup:

Another vote for the pedersoli. I have one rifle and one shotgun and for the price they are GREAT. But then that is just IMHO.

I have bought both Traditions and Pedersoli flintlock products in the past. I would now buy a Pedersoli over a Traditions. I had to replace the lock on my Traditions flinter with something a little....no, A LOT better built by L&R Lock.
My last purchase was made by Matt Avance from TVM and I can say that now I will always go to a builder for my MZ needs.

I recommend that you go with the Pedersoli. I have had both a traditions PA rifle,and a pedersoli frontier rifle. I gave the traditions away a few years ago because of ignition problems after the first shot. The pedersoli looks better to, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just ordered the Blue Ridge from Cabela's. 3-6 business days and I'll have a flintlock to start playing with.

For the guys who have Pedersoli's, what loads work well for you? I've only got some Goex FFg for black. Should I get FFFFg for priming and shoot FFg for a charge, or buy just FFFg and use it for priming and charge?

Jason

Although I have used 3f for prime I do think 4f is just a bit faster. One can of 4f is nearly a life supply, well 2,333 shots with a 3 grain prime. I suggest you try both 2f and 3f for the main charge, some guns do better with one than the other.

With the Blue Ridge patent breech with the small communication hole (about.20 inch) you will need 3f black for reliable ignition.........My Blue ridge has a regular "Flash in the Pan" with 2f black..........You have to make sure that that powder dribbles down into the firing chamber. I use a 22 caliber brush to keep the fouling out of that chamber. After cleaning the bore at the end of the day I take out the liner and clean out the patent breech with that 22 caliber brush.........If you swab between shots you will push crud into the chamber and 2f may or may not get past the crud..............Ignition is very fast if you open up the touch hole to 1/16th inch and use 3f black. I opened up the rear of the touchhole liner some also. You can prime with that 3f black also.
So its my experience that for your Blue Ridge to perform you need to
1. Drill out the touchhole liner to 1/16ths inch
2. Use 3f black powder
3. Be careful about swabbing gunk into the patent breech
4. Keep the flint sharp and wipe the frizzen and pan after each shot

This is what my Blue Ridge taught me about flinting
Good Luck..................Bob

Congrats on your purchase. I had a Pedersoli as my first flinter, it was agreat way to get started. My favorite load was 70 grains of Goex 3f with an .015 patch. My lube is a mix of bear oil and bees wax; .490 ball.I primed with the 3f powder as well. Good luck and enjoy!

Congrats on your new purchase! You are gonna love that Blue RIDGE. I have one in .36 and its a Sweetheart! Let us know what ya think when she arrives!!! OH HAPPY DAY !!!

:thumbsup: Congrats on your first smokepole. Mine was also a blueridge in .32 cal. Have shot more tree-rats(yum-yum) with it than I could count. Accuracy is nuts-on even after all these years. Now go out and make some smoke.

Mine's not a Blue Ridge but is a Pedersoli Cub flintlock. While it also has the patent breech I've had no problem with it firing. I do use 3f.

just got my traditions 50 cal shennadoah rifle today although not a blue ridge it was taken out of the box looked at and when right back in to the box to be returned

blueridger said:
I recommend that you go with the Pedersoli. I have had both a traditions PA rifle,and a pedersoli frontier rifle. I gave the traditions away a few years ago because of ignition problems after the first shot. The pedersoli looks better to, in my humble opinion.

I, too, had some ignition problems after the first shot or two with my Traditions Shenandoah (33½" barrel) which you could call a "short Pennsylvana Rifle".

I "cured" the problem by poking the straightened-out shaft of a paper-clip into the flash-hole/flash-channel and crushing the burnt chunks of black powder residue which were jamming up & blocking the flash-channel thus causing the failure-to-ignite problem.

My "pick" was too large in diameter to fit all the way into the flash-hole/flash-channel.

Once I began using the paper-clip, I stopped having "hang-fires" and/or failures-to-ignite the main powder charge using both Goex & Swift 3Fg for the main powder charge and Goex 4Fg in the frizzen pan.

Since I've never shot or handled a Pedersoli "Kentucky" Rifle, I can't make a valid comment as to which rifle is the best, but my "ignition problem" with my Traditions Shenandoah flinter is apparently "cured" and was apparently caused by the way the factory (in Spain) has engineered the flash-channel.

I say this with some certainty because since I began to use the paper-clip to crush those "clinkers" of burnt chunks of powder blocking the flash-channel immediately after the shot, I've stopped having a problem with the ignition of the main powder charge in about the last 100 shots. The main powder charge ignition is now almost instantaneous when the trigger is pulled.

I mention this in hopes of helping other forum members who may be having the same kind of ignition problems with their Traditions flinters. :wink:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Back