• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedesoli rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernflinter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
:wink: :wink: Anyone shooting a pedesoli rifle. I have a Blue Ridge Igot from Cabelas and so far it shoots fine. I also have a Pedesoli Kentucky pistol I built from a kit and I am satisfied with both. Plan to take them Bear Hunting this year.

I Have a Pedesoli tyron creedmore target rifle and could not ask for a more accurate 100-200yd rifle It has it's quirks but with a little expermintation it will settle down after 100 shots (more or less)

I was going to mention my Pedersoli Tryon as well until I noticed that this is the Flintlock forum.

To the best of my knowledge Pedersoli doesn't make a back action Flintlock Tryon but it sure would be neat if they did.

I owned and hunted with a Pedersoli Cub for over 10 years. Made my longest deer kill with it. It paid it's keep with bagged deer.

I've got the Pedersoli Pennsylvania F/L rifle in .45 caliber. LOP is a little short for me but the rifle shoots well and lock time is fast. Lock eats flints though. :cursing: Still experimenting with a tip I was given on this forum to improve flint life.

I've got a Blue Ridge in .36 that has been very good to me. It was cranky in the beginning, but I tamed her. :grin:

Hi Zonie,
Question: Is there such a thing, as a back action "Flintlock"
I myself have not seen or heard of one, not that my personal knowledge means that much.
Could also be a senior moment!
Old Ford

i have a pedersoli blue ridge flinter in .36.very pleased with it.accurate,reliable and powerful enough for anything i'm likely to hunt with it.

I have a .45 Blue Ridge that is a dream to shoot. The only things I did was to drill the vent liner to 1/16th inch and changed to front sight to a silver blade. The factory front sight has a taper to it, so as you file it down, it becomes wider. My Blue Ridge is very accurate and reliable. Good luck with your hunt :thumbsup:

I have the Blueridge in 54 cal. The lock looks like it would not work well but it does. The hammer cock is not centered to the frizzen and the frizzen spring is way too strong. Things I have mentioned on this forum. I have got several “fixes” but other than moving the flint in the jaws a little, I have done nothing to it. It seems to work well as is. It shoots where you aim and everytime.

I have been shooting my Blue Ridge in .32cal flint for many years. It's my primary squirrel and bunny rifle. I also have a .36cal that's much more pretty to look at and is really accurate, but the Blue Ridge will always be my first love. Vern

tony ennis said:
primary squirrel ... rifle

Not to derail/hijack, but do you guys eat squirrels or are you de-varmiting your property?

I eat them. I know that they may contain NUT PRODUCTS or NUT By-PRODUCTS but I take my chances and eat them just the same. :rotf: :rotf: Vern

I've seen photos of back action flintlock rifles but they were swivel breech guns. Each over/under barrel had its own pan/frizzen which would position itself ahead of the lock as the barrels were rotated into the firing position.

Now, back to the Pedersoli question.

Years ago I bought a Ped. flintlock pistol (kentucky?) kit and put it together. One of if not my first kit. I hadn't a clue what I was doing but I wanted a flintlock pistol so build one I did. It worked fine, no problems or quirks. It always went bang and I learned a lot about how to keep a flintlock working with that gun. I took a couple of second and third places in competition with it, always a brides maid, never a bride but it wasn't the guns fault. I traded it for (gulp) a tanned elk hide that I just had to have. :wink:

It was a .45 and I wouldn't reccomend it for serious bear hunting.

I have the Pedersoli "Plainsman" in .36 cal from Cabela's. I think I purchased one of the last one's they had (as of Jan this year)for $500.00 delivered.

I almost sent it back. The barrel was extremely rough. While cleaning for the first time the rifling cut patches all to pieces. Looking down the bore after this, it looked like it had hair growing in the bore from all the frayed patch material.

I finally cleaned up the bore by running 4 ought steel wool down the barrel several hundred times to remove the rough spots along the edges of the rifling.

It has a patent breach system and this has proved to be a pain to clean, but I have since worked out a method for doing this.

I have reduced the frizzen spring tension and now get well over 50 shoots before replacing the flint. And I use a "tornado" brush between shoots to clean the bore and the chamber of the patent breach so I rarely now get a misfire. I think the most important part of my reloading process is cleaning the touch hole after each shot.

With all this work it now is a reliable and accurate shooter. It has taught me a lot in how to adjust and maintain a flintlock, so I'm glad I kept it. But I don't think it's a good gun for someone who's just getting into flintlocks and doesn't have any experience. I think without help (and I have used this site a lot to increase my knowledge) they would find the Pedersoli very frustrating.

And I see that the same rifle I paid $500.00 for is now going for $750.00 For that kind of money, a person could spend a little more and get a much better rifle from TVM or others.

But even after all of this, I'll keep mine. Maybe because I've work out the problems myself, it's endeared the rifle to me?

Regards,
Booner

A friend had an early .50 Kentucky flint rifle - from back when the bores were actually .510". After he passed away, I bought it from his widow, along with his bag, horn, and measure. I mostly just use his load of 60gr FFFg, but I use .490", .495", and .500" balls in varying combinations of patches. The small lock is a bit fussy but very reliable when I pay attention, and I eventually had the patent-breech chamber opened up to .30" to simplify loading. I'm not especially good with open sights, so I'm happy with 1"-2" groups at 50yds semi-supported off a bench.

More recently, I picked up a used .32 Frontier flint carbine. The big lock on that little rifle still seems a trifle peculiar at times, but it is reliable. The little ~.20" patent-breech chamber requires care on loading. I'm still working on loads, but it is accurate.

Regards,
Joel

I have a couple and love them the .50 is VERY accurate!

The only complaint is that it is right handed....

Always shot right hand guns left handed but recently I had a flint shard bury into my right arm which made me wonder why I am shooting this rh gun left handed so for now I use safety glasses and will give the rifle to my son when I get this Lancaster .54 Left handed rifle built.

The other is a .32 and it shoots pretty good, the kid has a blast with it.

Blackfoot said:
Always shot right hand guns left handed but recently I had a flint shard bury into my right arm which made me wonder why I am shooting this rh gun left handed so for now I use safety glasses and will give the rifle to my son when I get this Lancaster .54 Left handed rifle built.
Ouch! I've been wearing glasses since I was 8, so eye protection is on 16hrs a day, but I've never had any more safety-related problems with the near-side (left) barrel on my double than the far-side barrel, or of my RH rifles. That said, I can understand being a bit more comfortable with having the flame and flying rocks going more directly away from one's self.

Regards,
Joel

Back