• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedisoli Mortimer Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregJohn

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Mortimer Flinter in 54 cal and have had trouble with the lock not completely springing the frizzen completely open upon ignition. The flints I use are english 3/4. I have tried larger flints but this was not a success. It appears that the frizzen spring is too strong but I could be wrong. The frizzen does open enough to ignite the powder and I am not having misfires. It is just that the frizzen does not open completely. Also the flints appear to be gouging rather than running down the frizzen face.

Suggestions are welcome as to a solution to my problem. Greeting from an Australian Black Powder enthusiast.

I had that problem with my Pedersoli Fontier Rifle. Try placing the flint differently to see if it likes it better. It sounds like the flint isn't hitting the fizzen correctly if it's gouging. If you haven't done it already, place your flint bevel up.
That's all I got. Maybe someone else on here (I'm sure there is) will be able to shed more light on your situation.

First thing I'd do is polish the bottom of the frizzen and the spring where the frizzen touches until you have almost a mirror finish. That might be all you need. You could also check to see if the frizzen is binding on the frizzen screw.

You can also weaken the frizzen spring by grinding off a little of the spring just before where the frizzen bears on the spring. Be real careful and don't heat up the spring or take off too much. You might also try grinding down the bottom of the frizzen where it bears on the spring.

Try the polishing first.

Many Klatch

Come to think of it, things got better when I polished the bottom of my frizzen and frizzen spring as well. Aren't Dremel's great?

I'm not sure how we all survived back in the day before Dremels. They do make tedious jobs a lot easier.

Many Klatch

GregJohn said:
I have a Mortimer Flinter in 54 cal and have had trouble with the lock not completely springing the frizzen completely open upon ignition. The flints I use are english 3/4. I have tried larger flints but this was not a success. It appears that the frizzen spring is too strong but I could be wrong. The frizzen does open enough to ignite the powder and I am not having misfires. It is just that the frizzen does not open completely. Also the flints appear to be gouging rather than running down the frizzen face.

Suggestions are welcome as to a solution to my problem. Greeting from an Australian Black Powder enthusiast.

Suggestions are welcome as to a solution to my problem.
I'd sell it and get something that works.

It appears that the frizzen spring is too strong but I could be wrong. The frizzen does open enough to ignite the powder and I am not having misfires.

Check and see if the point of the flint is resting on the face of the frizzen after firing or if the frizzen is resting on the cock. The first would suggest that the frizzen is indeed not going forward, the second that it is and is rebounding back.

I have a Pedersoli Mortimer shotgun with a similar lock, the recommended flints are 5/8" by 3/4" however, I use 3/4" square and have no problems. If you are using 3/4" by 1" this could result in the frizzen rebounding.

Just my 2c for what it's worth. :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back