• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sight on my underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff mccann

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After reading the posts by gmww,fw,and others on this forum about underhammer rifles,I bought one.The underhammer is the right choice for this left-handed shooter.I got mine from Ron Gueldner of Milwaukie,Or.It is a .54 cal. for patched round ball.Excellent workmanship,trigger,and accuracy.I need a peep sight,so I found a Williams peep made for a Remington model 760 pump rifle in my junk box.I ground the bottom of the sight base with my Dremel tool to match the profile of the Deer Creek action,adjusting to level the sight,and I used Prussion blue to check my progress.Then I drilled and tapped for two 5x40 screws.Applied release agent to the receiver(paste wax),and glass bedding compound to the sight base,for complete contact,and screwed it on.Works GREAT!Click on photos to see the details.

Beautiful work. :bow: I like that wood you got on that gun. Nice kitty cat too! :)

Greetings Cliff Mccan,

You have taken a giant step forward in maximizing the accuracy potential of your Underhammer rifle. You are probably already seeing a major impovement in smaller and more consistent groups.

At some point in time, you might want to consider an improvement over your current rear sight setup.

Eventually the barrel and receiver, if you shoot enough,will begin to loosen. This is common among all underhammer designs that have a seperate action and barrel design. Even custom underhammer designs such as my Kenneth Briesen barrel and action have this problem.

The best solution is to use a sight barrel that is screwed to the barrel, with the sight mounted on the sight bar. In this way, both front and rear sight are mounted on the barrel, and if the barrelled/action should loosen, there will be no lose in sight alignment/accuracy.

Most of these rear sight bars are custom made items, but are actually simple in design. If you will look through some of Davy's post, you will find some photos of my bench rifle, and there you can see the sight bar minus the sight.

This arrangement works well on just about any type of rifle, encluding my Hawken Rifles.

If you are shooting a rifle like the T-C with a tang or similar sight mounted on the the tang, the exact same problem exist.

Much of these loose fit between the hook breech and and tang can be eliminated with the simple installation of two machine screws on the opposingsie flats of the tang.

Again, Davy has some photos of where these screws are installed.

If some time in the future your underhammer rifle begins to fall off in accuracy, you might want to check the fit of the barrel and action.

In no way is this information offered as negative criticism of your current sight arrangement.

As with all of my post, the readers have the right to accept or reject, use or not use my information and/or opinions.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Well I think it's an elegant solution, even if'n it don't last forever. :hatsoff:

Yes Slamfire, it is an elegant solution, and I repeat:

Nothing in my post is intended to be negative or adverse criticism. It is posted only to present information that might or might not have future value.

I have no doubt there will be a post stating that some underhammer has been shot for X number of years with thousands of rounds fired through it, and the barrel and action is still as tight as new.

That is very nice, and that poster can simply ignore my information and continue to be quite happy. I am.

Personally, I do not like the appearance of the long sight bar that I use on my underhammer rifles. They detract from the otherwise clean simple lines of the underhammer design, and actually in my eyes, are just down-right ugly.

The only beauty in them is the functional way they solve an inherent problem in the underhammer design. If not for this problem, rest assured, my underhammers would sport something like Cliff Mccann posted.

Cliff is to be commended not only for the skill, he exhibited in fitting the sight to his rifle, but the planning and thought that went into the idea, before he ever picked up a tool to do the job.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Nice job. I have been thinking about doing something like that on my rifle. Thanks for showing us how you did yours.

Back