• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, call me dense, but the original question was regarding their use at rondys, not specifically shoots. That is what my response is aimed at. If for the shoots, the decision is to use only open sights to level the field, so be it, but that still does not explain the shunning of underhammers. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't own an underhammer, and have no interest in one. That having been said, I don't get why they would not be allowed at a rondy - which is what I have seen stated and inferred from time to time...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

A majority of the Rondys involve shoting= a shooting match, is a shooting match, is a shooting match. If you go to the rondy and do not shoot you can stick a pickle on the end of the barrel and call it kosher for all anyone cares.

A committee sets the shooting rules and a committee has the ability to change them. The members of that committee are usually shooters, not historians.

Same thing with trade gun matches= many of the origional trade guns had rear sights. Just try to use a smoothbore with both front and rear sights at a trade gun match. They will not even let you have a high growned screw in the tang or a lump on the breechplug.

These decisions are not based on history, they are based on preferance and opinion of the people that set the rules for each individual shoot or rondy.

What I am trying to stress is that there is no national body of "history police" that make the rules for your club or rondy's individual shooting matches.

This is not a Period Correct=Historical Accuracy argument, it is a matter of individual club/rondy policy. If you don't like the rules of your club or the rondy you attend then lobby for a change.

I would personally love to see a rule allowing any historically correct iron sight. I still shoot 3 position NRA/International, Rimfire Sporter and hi-power and rimfire silouette but I quit compeeting with muzzleloaders years ago due to the sight rules.

Again, I am relatively new to all of this, and have not done the rondy thing. Well, I went to Alafia as a spectator but that does not count. I am basing my position on comments that I have read where the rondys did not allow those items. It was not specified if it was at the shoot or at the rondy itself - since it was not specified that it was shoot only, I took it to mean the overall event. I could be out to lunch on that based on my lack of knowledge of how these events go. I am just speaking from a pragmatic perspective with regards to the decision to include or exclude items that were available at the time.

The Peep on the wheel lock rifle (like on so many other wheel lock and flint lock rifles) was added in the 19th century and is a "diopter". I suppose it acted as a kind of "blinder" for target shooting.

Crossbows often had peep sights, and many 17th century guns have what is called a "tube" rear sight...I am not certain just what is inside the tube, as I have never been able to inspect one in person...

I have photos of a mid 18th century Swiss rifle (with a 48" long barrel, by the way), that has a very tall rear sight leaf. I can't see the rear of the leaf, but can only assume it is a peep sight. They were DEFINITELY uncommon (very uncommon indeed), but they did exist.

Ghost as I was a history teacher at one time all I could really add is you put it better than I did. By PC I sure didnt mean Period Correct :confused: I think you know the people I mean, the people that started the NMLRA did use peeps just look in Clines book, long with the "tubes" with a disk inside and pin hole and some are just shaders, I make and sell a few underhammers have a 1/2 dozen of my own, I can see up to a point why they dont want those,they might of been very common on the north east coast but that was 1830s the first ad for one out west is in 1838 and Ive yet to see much use here (Texas) except by the Texas Army/Navy in the late 30s. Ive seen a "few" flintlocks with a combo sight that part was peep, all German except for one late 1790s that has a brass v with a small hole right under the tip of the v, I would take AWAG that it wasnt commmon to have peeps on everyday rifles but on target rifles but really who knows, I wasnt around back then. Again I belive its those PC police the kind that would love to have nothing but flintlocks at most meets, but even they are getting old now, and so everyone is correct in one way or another. Fred

big D said:
Does anyone know where I can find out just how far back in time the peep sight was used.

You might read this post. Peep sight on southern mountain rifle

On the second page. Der Forster states.

11/08/05 04:10 PM - Post#188377
In response to twobirds

The tube sights I've seen are on Spanish weapons recovered off shipwrecks mostly by the state of Florida archaeology folks,and they date from the 1500's through maybe 1820. If you are interested IM me and I'll put you in contact with the state preservation/restoration lab that does all of the restoration efforts.My friend there will be glad to email you photos.

So 1500's might be the early date for peepsights in early America.

PEEP.jpg

THE DREADED PEEP SIGHT!

Although it looks right at home on my Schuetzen it would definitely look out of place on anything prior to 1850 if for any reason more than its style. :grin:

The fellers holdin' them "Rondy's" kin make any rule they wants. But when they does, it means they kain't snivel when nobody shows up. :blah:

Ya Zonie thats the later , the thing Im thinking of was on the Jaegers a kind of flip up metal plate that slides up and has a peep hole in it. Saw one in MB just this week but dont remember if it was a new one or one of the old back issu Ive picked up. Fred :hatsoff:

50-PEEP.jpg

The low tec version, just a bolt with two flats, no windage adjustment. The front sight must be drifted.

Ya Ive been looking at yours since you first put it up, really like that frame.,front and rear sights and the reat of that rifle. Im trying one of MLBS old time peeps with the 2 size disk on the frame John T is building for us,it dont go up down or sideways :rotf: front sight will get a real work out or do it the old way, hold on a spot that hits center :confused: Fred :hatsoff:

As has already been pointed out, peep sights predate firearms. Peepsights were used on early matchlocks, both European and Asian. I've seen one matchlock that had three peepholes one above the other to allow for the rainbow trajactery of those early gonnes.

CP

Back