• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sights for a t/c hawken?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tna

36 Cal.
Reaction score
is there such a thing? if so where could i aquire a set? would they be tough to install (gunsmith work or do it yourself?) i'm refering to the flip up type. i believe that's the correct term.

"If you can't kill it with one shot,
it ain't supposed to die."

Try Cabale's. They have a pretty good selection. :imo: I am new to the sport so I am sure there are other places.

If by peep sight you mean "receiver sights," there are at least two: one from TC and one from Lyman. Each requires drilling and tapping of one hole as I recall, but not a tough job for anyone with a drill press, common sense and experience.

In my experience the differences between the two boil down to size and location versus ease of operation. The Lyman is bulkier but easier to adjust, while the TC is smaller and not as easy to adjust.

I've made several tang mounted peep sights and found them to be great at the shooting range. In the dark woods, especially in the evening, it was too hard to see thru them. I made several different aperture discs with small to large holes and tried 'em all. For hunting I reinstalled the original adjustable notch rear and blade front sights.

The newer TC have the tang already drilled and tapped...all you have to do is remove the screws and install. there should me a middle hole in the newer tang. also from time to time you can pick one up on ebay. :m2c:

I have a T.C. peep sight on my renegade with a fiber optic front bead. I really like this sight, it's way easier to use than a notch sight. If I remember correctly, I paid 67.00$ for it installed at T.C.'s factory.

i did some looking and what i want is called vernier sights. any one know of any for a hawken. i would like to still be able to use the factory sights and flip up the vernier when necessary.

Thompson Center also sells them do a search on google for FOxridge outfitters...you can buy direct or any of the mail order companies sell them

The newer TC have the tang already drilled and tapped...all you have to do is remove the screws and install. there should me a middle hole in the newer tang. also from time to time you can pick one up on ebay. :m2c:

:hmm: :hmm:
Actually, it's just the reverse...the older TC tangs have the machine screw in the middle for peep sight mounting...they dropped the middle screw from manufacturing years ago when peep sight popularity dried up...the new style tangs just have the two main mounting holes.

Back