• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania Black Bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pennsylvania has three bear seasons, a 3 day regular rifle season, a longer archery season and a concurrent (with archery) 3 day muzzleloader season.
I have been hunting with my flintlock for many years but have never shot a bear, in fact I’ve never seen a bear in season, out of season I’ve almost shook hands with a couple but never when I could have shot one. This has been a lifelong goal to take a flintlock bear.
This season I hunted all three days of the muzzleloader hunt and the woods were very inactive, low animal movement all three days. Yesterday the wind began to blow and blow hard making it almost dangerous with potential limbs falling, I was careful where I chose to sit.
About 2:30 I moved off the ridge into the creek bottom to get some new scenery and try to escape the wind. I sat for 2 hours and a black squirrel passed by, and I thought well at least it was something black!
About 5:00 I caught movement to my right and can you believe it, it was a bear! Gun pointed left, bear to the right made it impossible to get a shot. It didn’t take long and it moved forward to where I could see the head from behind a tree, then it stopped started smelling the air and I knew I was about to get busted. I leaned forward and canted the gun on an angle to get around the tree and when the front sight settled behind the shoulder, the gun barked instantly. The bear bit at its back, turned and ran about 20yds on top of a small burm and toppled over.
It was an amazing few moments and I could not believe that I actually shot a bear with my trusty flinter, goal complete.
Estimated 176#
.50 cal prb, 90g FFF Goex

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpeg
    IMG_1140.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    5.2 MB
Last edited:
That is awesome! What caliber and load?
It looks like a good size bear,and well furred for this time of year.

Pennsylvania has three bear seasons, a 3 day regular rifle season, a longer archery season and a concurrent (with archery) 3 day muzzleloader season.
I have been hunting with my flintlock for many years but have never shot a bear, in fact I’ve never seen a bear in season, out of season I’ve almost shook hands with a couple but never when I could have shot one. This has been a lifelong goal to take a flintlock bear.
This season I hunted all three days of the muzzleloader hunt and the woods were very inactive, low animal movement all three days. Yesterday the wind began to blow and blow hard making it almost dangerous with potential limbs falling, I was careful where I chose to sit.
About 2:30 I moved off the ridge into the creek bottom to get some new scenery and try to escape the wind. I sat for 2 hours and a black squirrel passed by, and I thought well at least it was something black!
About 5:00 I caught movement to my right and can you believe it, it was a bear! Gun pointed left, bear to the right made it impossible to get a shot. It didn’t take long and it moved forward to where I could see the head from behind a tree, then it stopped started smelling the air and I knew I was about to get busted. I leaned forward and canted the gun on an angle to get around the tree and when the front sight settled behind the shoulder, the gun barked instantly. The bear bit at its back, turned and ran about 20yds on top of a small burm and toppled over.
It was an amazing few moments and I could not believe that I actually shot a bear with my trusty flinter, goal complete.
Estimated 176#
.50 cal prb, 90g FFF Goex
Congrats. Very cool. I said I wanted to get out this year, but I have too much going on. No bears that I have heard off in Montco, so I think a trip to Carbon county is in my future. What was the distance on your shot? And tell us about your gun.

Dutch!!!
Awesome!
I'm going to tell you I bet a lot of folks don't realize what you did there....
I am very aware of what you've accomplished and I want you to know I'm super glad for ya!
I myself have wanting a flintlock bear for a number of years. However I did kill one in 2009 with my 30-30 during the firearms season in the Pune Creek Gorge. I also missed on one here in Junitata County on 2019 with my longbow during the archery bear/deer overlap, then in 2020 had a flash in the pan on one in the Tuscarora State forest during early muzzleloader. (Only flash in the pan I ever had while hunting)
I had one near me in 2022 early muzzleloader as well but no shot.
So I'm glad I've had chances but can't seem to get it done.
I'm going to PM you my number. I'd love to hear the detailed story if your willing!

Back