• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I always enjoy seeing other folks' hero shots and nice firearms so here's my flint opener doe taken last Friday at 7:53 in the morning. My flinter is a .54. I also tried to bag a Snowshoe hare with a .36 rifle that I built myself on the following day but we didn't see one while I was there (though my "guide" sent me a video of one that bounced right past him shortly after I left that day).

Oh, I should also add that the knife in the photo is unique. It was a pre-retirement gift from a dear friend and it's actually a beautiful Damascus steel blade that was made by the gentleman that builds the rifles for the WVU Mountaineer (and I apologize that I can't recall his name but I know others here will recognize who I'm referring to). I had promised to "blood" the blade for my friend who gave it to me and I can consider that task accomplished.

doe-1_zpscdaeb64e.jpg

Good looking doe and flintlock. Is the knife marked with MD initials? If so he is from the Morgantown,WV area. Dan.

wvbuckbuster said:
Good looking doe and flintlock. Is the knife marked with MD initials? If so he is from the Morgantown,WV area. Dan.

I think the initials are MW and yes, he's from Morgantown. The knife even has the WVU colors (even though I'm a PSU grad I still like it). I'll try to take a photo of the knife tomorrow and post it here.

Your smile says it all - there ain't better feeling than taking game with a flintlock. Congrats!

Marvin Wotring. I bought one of his knives years ago and put on a shooting bag. He also builds 2 muzzleloaders and donates to the Buckwheat Festival In Kingwood each year. Nice gentleman. Dan.

That smile from getting a deer with a rocklock is really somethin', ain't it? :)

I may need a sling like that. I haven't found a great way to use a pull rope with my long rifle, so I've been carrying it up/down the ladders. So far, so good, but a sling might be a worth investment.

wvbuckbuster said:
Marvin Wotring. I bought one of his knives years ago and put on a shooting bag. He also builds 2 muzzleloaders and donates to the Buckwheat Festival In Kingwood each year. Nice gentleman. Dan.

Yes, you're right on the knife's maker.

Back