• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondoro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Any pepperbox parts or kits out there? Kudos to Dixie for having the courage to print negative reviews - but the reviews of Dixie's pepperbox kit have made me afraid to buy one.

The very first blackpowder gun I built was a Dixie/ Classic Arms/ Deer Creek etc. pepperbox.
It is not a sophisticated or accurate rendition of a real pepperbox, but it does look pretty intimidating.
I had to machine flutes into the barrel cylinder, as it came just round and quite plain looking.
The wood looked like a chunk from a 2x4, but that was easily replaced.
The hammer spring provided is way too powerful, so I had to get a lighter spring.
The barrel is rotated by hand, and is indexed via a ball detent.
It is however very easy to build, and despite all it's faults, I managed to make a very nice looking pepperbox, I just had to modify some aspects.
The kit is very inexpensive, it will greatly impress your non muzzleloading brother in law, and is pretty fun to build.
Why not?

I had one years ago and I had to replace the mainspring with a much heavier one. That made the trigger pull outrageous and it still wouldn't bust a cap on the first strike. It was striking the nipple square and seemingly plenty hard but just wouldn't fire. Changed nipples, tried other caps, only gun I ever just gave up on. :shake:

If we are speaking of the CLASSIC ARMS pepperbox, IMO, it's something to own just to say you have a pepperbox but it isn't worth a D for much else.

I built one years ago and never could get it to fire reliably.
If a stranger ask me if he should buy it I would say no. If a friend ask me if he should buy it I would say Hell No. Not unless you just want a neat paperweight for your desk.

A friend gave me the kit for Christmas several years ago---I found the assembly to very frustrating---and after all my troubles I cannot cock the gun---but I am not about to disassemble that beast to try to make it cock---I blued the barrel and it looked awful---so I browned it---it sits on a coffee table as a conversation piece. The giver is no longer my friend as I cursed him up and down the 200+ times I re-assembled that piece of junk. There I said and I'm glad I said---so there too!!!!! :hatsoff:

I will post a picture.
Granted, I had to modify some engagement areas, but mine works just fine. the engagement surface on the trigger will dictate the amount of travel on the hammer, so I had to optimize the "stroke". If you understand how the system works , it will become obvious what to do.
After all the negative posts, I remembered that geometry modification was required. This is so normal with a build, that I had forgotten about it.
I also machined a custom ferrule out of red brass, so when I post the picture, you will see some differences from the provided kit.
I reamed out the bores, as the kit is just drilled with an taper length drillbit.
I just remembered something- after I re-did the geometry, I called Deer Creek (Classic Arms distributor) and told them that if I was not an engineer, I probably could not get it to work.
If you do get one, I will disassemble mine, to show you where to modify it internally, and tell you the proper spring weights to get it to go.

It's been a long time sense I have owned a peper box. The kits are not even close to what the original looks like or works like. My cousen had an original .28 cal that had automatic indexing.I think the hammer was shaped like the S/A Colt and opperated single action. I don't remember the brand but there was and old scrap of paper inside the grips that had the name Booth. The old kit built that I had at the time needed to be indexed to shoot and was very crudely made.

Picture104.jpg

Here it is. The "red" brass ferrule at the grip/frame junction is an extra touch that solidly (via square drive) prevents the grip from shifting on it's single anchor point.
I machined the flutes in the barrel, as it came just cylindrical.
The internals were modified slightly.
The grip is a piece of Claro walnut that was in my secret stash.
The finish is Herters Belgian Blue from Brownells.
It was bored out to .362, as the bores were just drilled from the kit. The drilling was not too bad, and sandpaper on a mandrel would have cleaned it up also.
Nothing fancy-to be sure, but it shoots.

That is a nice looking pistol and I admire the work you put into it, but I am afraid it is more work than I am willing to devote right now. I am in the midst of my first gun project right now, a from-scratch flint pistol. It is more work than I imagined. I will finish it, but then I think I will wait a while before the next project.

"I will finish it, but then I think I will wait a while before the next project. "

Ho Ho Ho. That's what we all say.
Especially after a project that turned out to be a little more than we bargained for, but, as soon as it was done the bug would bite again and get us thinking thoughts like..."I've always kind of liked the looks of ...... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Back