• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Jaeger? How common?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnTheGreek

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Also curious if someone can tell me the relative frequency of Iron vs. Brass Furniture on a Jaeger.

Thanks,

Buffler Runner

I am no expert but here's what I've learned through some research. I've seen photos of plenty of jaegers with either brass or iron furniture. From what I've read the military type jaegers had brass furniture almost exclusively. Now about the percussion jaegers. I'm sure that some were built as percussions but it's been written that the Napoleanic wars (pre-percussion era) pretty much saw an end to the "golden age" of jaeger rifle building going on in Germany. Many originals were converted to percussion and I think they look very good and would not be considered too uncommon. The Germans were always big on technological advances. The German military has always had Jaeger units carrying short rifles even up to WWII so you have to draw a line about what you consider to be a "Jaeger rifle" One true statement about jaeger type guns is that almost anything goes within reason. But don't take my word for it, researching is half the fun. Always glad to hear of someone interested in jaegers :hatsoff:

The model 1711 Jaeger used by the Danish/Norwegian military were all converted to percussion. Apparently, no original flintlock rifles remain. If you search the web, you'll find lots of information. It is worth remembering that a flintlock Jaeger is very near perfection. I'm having a swivel breech Jaeger built and never even considered percussion, although a good percussion swivel breech action is available.

Keep in mind, that, generally speaking, Germans generally used iron trim on rifles, and generally speaking, the English used brass trim. From that perspective I think that iron is, generally speaking, more correct or would be more common on a Jaeger, but I could be wrong.

But then consider that Germans building Jaeger rifles in early America were German rifle builders, but in a English colony, so there may have been a mix, or more use of brass.

All things considered, I would expect a higher frequency of iron mounted Jaegers back in the day.

My Jeager wears iron trim...JA BABY!!!

Being half German, and Half English, my smoothbore/rifle combination of Jaeger and Brown Bess works out pretty good aye?

:applause: :RO: :applause:

Now on percussion, I would also think that the "golden years" of Jeagers was way before the percussion system came into being, and would be surprised if traditional Jaeger rifles were being made after that time, in percussion.

Russ and Jaegermiester are right, (of course!) a flint jeager really does come close to the peak of rifle perfection, and a Jaeger with a lock such as the Chamber's gives NOTHING up to a percussion lock/system. NOTHING, NYET, NINE!

Rat

In George Shumways book "JAEGER RIFLES " cw 2003, there are precussion Jaegers shown on pages 12, 40, 46, 122, 130, 144, 148, 174, 178 and 210.
Most of these were converted to Precussion however there is a chanch that the one shown on page 40 was made as late as the third quarter of the 19th century and is the original configuration.
Two of the other converted Jaegers are swivel barrel over/unders.

I can't say how common Precussion Jaegers were/are but they do exist. :)

Back