• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion misfire- bear won I lost

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks again for all of the responses. I have been practicing with pulling the trigger as I pull back the hammer and that works great. Its the same thing I do after putting the cap on the nipple and letting the hammer down, never gave it a thought when doing the opposite.

This was the first year after the last 10 years of hunting bears that I decided on hunting with my muzzleloader. I have shot 6 bears with my .308. It was frustrating to say the least!

He is a big bear probably over 300 lbs and hasn't been back during shooting hours since.They don't get big by being dumb.

I plan on using all of the suggestions so this doesn't happen again. I have learned a lot over the last few years following this forum and I appreciate all the help from everyone.

No Deer nice bear, but I'm not sure about the flinter, YET!

I also fire caps off to make sure everything is clear before loading. I also run a patch down the barrel using a cleaning jag after doing so. Doing this, the compressed air in the barrel is being forced through the nipple, forcing anything in the nipple out, and wiping any possible moisture out of the barrel. Using compressed air was mentioned to blow the drum clear of water. I have used the compressed air cans you can get to clean your Key Board for your computer with really good success to blow stuff dry or push lubricant into small areas. Using the straw nozzle, you can get down into the drum and use it to blow the nipple dry or clear if needed. Again swabbing he barrel afterward removing any moisture. DANNY

I agree with MOST of the others here, EXCEPT putting ANYTHING down a dirty bore like a dry patch AFTER using a cap. In my World, the cap comes LAST, then put in a regular load. Dry patching AFTER capping-off while the bore is still in need of cleaning COULD result in some particulate making/finding its' way into the flash channel. Since all I want in my flash channel is my powder charge, NOTHING goes down the barrel AFTER capping-off EXCEPT the load itself! And I use 2-3 caps, with the last one near a blade of grass. When you've done this as long as I have, you can see the difference between the first and the third cap...the third always moves the grass more, signifying a completely warm & dry & CLEAR flash channel. I've never had a misfire after using the third cap prior to reloading after the rifle sat for a while......and I've never had to remove the nipple and trickle powder under it into the snail/drum.

A clean, clear, warm & dry flash channel is always your hunting partner!

Dave

That may be your experience but it aint mine. That old chestnut of watching the grass move when you pop a cap I believe is a bit misleading. All it tells you is that the gas that cap created is blowing out of the barrel. Where else would it go? I believe there is still an opportunity for oil, debris, crud, etc to persist in the flash channel.

I have popped 3-4 caps in my Lyman and still had a misfire on a trophy animal - infuriating! Doesn't always happen but it CAN happen which is almost as bad.

I have found that the only surefire way to get that first shot to fire 100% is to put a few grains under the nipple. That is after doing all the previously mentioned steps.

I suspect that if you load the rifle and carry it around for a while before shooting, the powder mixes with whatever maybe left in the channel and gums up. If you were going to fire it immediately after loading it, then it most probably would fire as the powder hasn't had any time to mix with oil etc. That is my theory.

Of course there is absolutely no substitute for thorough cleaning. And of course each firearm is slightly different but in a field situation, ie hunting once in a lifetime trophy critters, I am a fully paid up subscriber to the powder under the nipple club! It is an insurance policy against human error. Just my two cents worth born of experience. Anyway what is the harm in doing it?

I always put a thimble full of lighter fluid down the barrel and used dry patches to pump it thru the nipple. Now I hit it with a spray of carb. or brake cleaner. After patching it dry I pop at least two caps watching for dirt or grass being moved by the gasses!

Geo. T.

Back