• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hav a 58 TC and about every 12-15 shots it will not ignite, the cap goes bang but not the charge , wondering if it’s the nipple or fouling? Also have two different nipples ,which style do you guys like?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6150.jpeg
    4.7 MB
A few questions:

First, how do you clean the rifle after each session? Do you flush the breech with water to ensure that the flash channel is clear?

Second, in what position do you store the rifle? In my experience it's best to store rifles with patent breeches like your T/C muzzle-down, so any excess oil in the bore drains away from the breech.

Finally, are you swabbing between shots? If so you may be pushing fouling down into the breech, causing the misfires. When I shoot at the range I use a wet lube that allows me to shoot as long as I want without swabbing. In effect, you're swabbing each time you load but the fouling doesn't go past the powder charge into the breech. In my experience this makes my rifles more reliable.

For my percussion guns, I prefer the "Red Hot" nipples from Knight. With heavy charges in my 58, I make a point of picking the nipple after a few shots as cap residue sometimes blocks the hole due to the excess pressure.

Back