• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perdersoli Pennsylvania

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickjf

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Dixie Pennsylvania by Perdiersoli .45 cap lock. I want to use the existing lock and have a smith cange it to a flinter. Is this a fesable idea. I can get a quality flint hammer frizzen and spring plus proper screws.

Newhunter,
I am not too sure what exactly you have. A Kentucky I assume. The most economical way to go (for switching) in my opinion is to find a flintlock lock by Pedersoli, if in fact it is a configuration that will work. There will still be fitting of inside parts etc. The barrel bolster/drum needs to be changed to a touch hole.
Flintlocks Forever,
Lar :thumbsup:

Hi Newhunter,

Have you compared the cost of making the switch to the cost of another rifle? I'm not sure but am thinking you might be able to find a used T/C or Pedersoli flinter on GunBroker or Auction Arms in the same range as what you are going to spend to make the changeover.

Second rifles are good. Third ones are even better :grin: Your wife will understand, especially if you tell her it came with the necklace you felt she had to have... :barf:

Spot

This is my rifle
PF1070.gif

I have that same rifle in Flint. You're going to need a completely new lock. Dixie Gun Works should have one in stock. The flint model of that rifle is FR1060 on the DGW site. You will also need to remove the drum and get a touch hole liner that has the same threads as the drum.

I would crunch the numbers to see how it compares to a new or used quality American made gun, particularly if you are interested in having something that looks like a real Kentucky/Penn rilfe,it is your choice, just try to make an educated choice, it will be worth the time you spend.There are many here you can help with any questions you may think of.

It is a good rifle, I have been away from shooitng for some months but went out to the range last weekend and shot .445 Buffelo round ball with 80gr ffg at 100 yards. I plan to do my hunting this year with it. I do want it converted to flint.

Go to Dixie Gun Works and order the flint lock and the proper touch hole liner and you're set. It will only take a few seconds to convert it. You will probably have to call them to get the right parts though. The lock will cost around $130 and the touch hole a few bucks. It's a lot cheaper going this route than buying a whole new flintlock rifle.

I agree with Hawkeye. Dixie use to sell them in a convertible. One rifle with two locks. Check with Dixie.

Newhunter
"Hawkeye is right on the money! I too am new to this site and to flintlocks. I own a Pedersoli "Kentucky star" almost identicle to your rifle. I had a gun dealer order me the flintlock "lock" it came with a touch hole liner. It literally could not have been an easier conversion. Three to five minutes and I was throwing sparks!
I am learning tons of fantastic information from the people on this site, welcome its going to be great this fall hunting with a "flinter" Best of luck and enjoy your "conversion" good luck changing your rifle as well! :rotf:
Jet90

If I sell my "Seneca" parts I will get the lock you suggest. Thunder ridge has these same locks.

Back