• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perfect elk and moose gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.54 RB worked for me each time on elk. Longest shot taken at ~80yards, went through both lungs, elk didn't move for a full minute, went for a short walk and dropped dead after 30 yards. 90gr of RS Pyrodex, .530 RB- deadly combo.
Friend of mine uses .58, same results.
Have no experience with moose, but shoudl not be too much tougher than big elk, .54 or .58 RB.
:m2c:

That's really interesting. A friend of mine claimed the same thing when he did his elk hunt out west. He was using a .54 caliber Renegade cap lock. Said his elk came down off a trail about 50 yards broadside in front of him. He also told of shooting and the elk instead of running off, just stood there looking around. When he tells his story he relates, he could see the large blood spot on the side of the animal, right where he would have wanted it to be. The elk walk about 20 yards he said and just collapsed. He lung shot the animal as you describe.

I have noticed whitetail being shot and shot at with black powder rifles not running off, then others have torn the ground up.. getting out of there.

My .58 flinter always seemed to get a deer attention pretty good. Only ones that didn't run, were shot in spine.

I used to have a real good record of planting deer where they stood with my .54 caliber and roundball. Then I have no idea what went on two seasons ago. I shot three of them with 80 grains of Triple Se7en, a wonderwad and a patched roundball. Of the three, two of them ran off. Not far mind you, but I was so used to seeing them drop or take a step or two and drop I was kind of shook. I was hitting good spots, right where I always was in the past. The only thing different that year was I was shooting Triple Se7en as a powder.

I used to have a real good record of planting deer where they stood with my .54 caliber and roundball. Then I have no idea what went on two seasons ago. I shot three of them with 80 grains of Triple Se7en, a wonderwad and a patched roundball. Of the three, two of them ran off. Not far mind you, but I was so used to seeing them drop or take a step or two and drop I was kind of shook. I was hitting good spots, right where I always was in the past. The only thing different that year was I was shooting Triple Se7en as a powder.

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
I'm sure they can tell!
BS

Maybe the 777 is not producing the same velocity as the black was. Sometimes it is not always hotter than black, and you may have reduced the power of your load.

Was your accuracy the same? With 90-100 grains of 777, my 1861 produces 8+" groups at 75 yards. With 90-100 grains of Goex fffg black, she prints 2.25" groups at 110 yards, everything else in the load being the same.

Rat

Latest posts

Back