• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perhaps a hunter's rondy fall 2014?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
At one time SE PA was a small game hunter's dream. The fields and woods were loaded with pheasant, squirrels, quail, etc My Grandfather would take his camping gear out into some family property for two full weeks every small game season. Basically live off what he harvested and gathered. He died before I was old enough to accompany him and i always feel like I missed something very important. Unfortunately, there are no pheasants or quail left in this area, and rabbits are far and few between. My farm has squirrels but that is pretty much the small game inventory. I'd like to hear from folks who have been to a small game or big game long hunter camp and what planning it took.

I don't know if you subscribe to Muzzleloader Magazine or not, but the Nov/Dec issue had a good article titled On Discerning The Most Convenient Path by John Curry. Basically gave a good account of the kind of preparation one might go through to find the right location for such a hunt.

the situation is pretty much the same here as well. as far as quail and bunnys go. just about everyone here blames coyotes but the rabbits started disappearing atleast 10 years before the coyotes showed up and the turkey population is flourishing so i have a hard time with that theory. i keep about 2.5 acres untouched and left a big ugly hedge row between the house and the back field to my wifes disliking and i also keep a couple of acres with sugar cane patches, all this combined has brought in some bunnys and quail, not enough to hunt but i enjoy seeing them. at times i will not mow between the cane patches if there is a lot of rabbit sign and it drives my wife crazy because it is visible to passers by and gets to looking pretty bad by harvest.
the Jefferson Longrifles have a squirrel camp every year if you go on their web site you can email Roger Whitt, he is a great guy and i am sure he will help you. Roger is self employed and works long hours so don't be surprised if it takes him a couple of days to get back to you.
(jefferson longrifles tallahassee florida)

creek

Back