• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permadex Anti-Sieze

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the years I've used different kinds of lube on the nipple threads and all worked. I clean my revolver cylinders underwater in a hot soapy solution without removing the nipples. I have gone as long as 2 years of extensive shooting without removing them and have never had any problems whatsoever. The important thing is to have something on the threads when you assemble them. It is not worth losing sleep over. Some things I've used:
Anti-seize, any type will work, don't worry if it's copper, nickel, food grade, it all works.
Choke tube lube
Nipple & breech plug lube
Chassis grease
Silicone grease
Dielectric grease
Teflon tape, make sure it doesn't cover the flash hole
Any of the above and possibly some other things too. It depended on what was within arm's length when I needed it.

IMG_2655.jpeg

As the old adage goes.... an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
On small things such as percussion nipple threads a little goes a long ways.
As a heavy equipment, heavy industry machinist/fabricator of 50 years anti-seize is used and used a lot. It will help prevent future problems/failures. Some metals such as stainless steel and aluminum really benefit from it to help to prevent galling.
Not mentioned but the other side of the spectrum is where thread lockers are needed but that's another thread.

I've got the obligatory can of Permatex out in the shop, but I avoid using it for small stuff. As you all pointed out, it gets everywhere.

I've got a small tube of Birchwood Casey choke tube lube. Basically the same thing, but that tiny tube avoids all the mess. A slix shot nipple wrench holds a nipple securely enough that I can squeeze some tiny drops on the threads without needing to get my hand near the stuff.

Is anti seize overkill? Actually probably not unless you're cleaning and using all your guns constantly. I know I'd be much happier in the shop if the previous owners of various guns and machines I work on had used anti-seize instead of something lesser.

When I was still shooting it I used Permatex anti seize on my Pedersoli Kentucky rifle touch hole liner and use it on the nipple of my Richmond musket, but have never used it on revolver nipples and have had no problems removing them.

I know a guy that put the copper anti-seize on the rungs of his ladder stand because someone was sneaking a hunt out of it. He found out who it was when they came in the store with that stuff smeared all over his face.

Back