• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permethrin mixture ratio…….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For those of you that treats your hunting attire with permethrin concentrate, what is the mixture ratio you use?

I have some permethrin for animals and I have no idea how I should mix it.

For those of you that treats your hunting attire with permethrin concentrate, what is the mixture ratio you use?

I have some permethrin for animals and I have no idea how I should mix it.
If you don’t get an answer sooner, I can check when I get home from work tonight.

I’m not sure if the animal and human concentrates are at different strengths, so I don’t want to be responsible for your skin peeling off 😉

How much you cut it depends upon the % that is in the concentrate. For example (see my chart below) for effective % it should be .5%. (One-half of 1%)

Years ago I bought an Ortho product that was 2.5%. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part Ortho to 5 parts water.

Then I bought a product for animals. It was 10% concentrate. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part product and 20 parts water.

1728054816992.png

If you don’t get an answer sooner, I can check when I get home from work tonight.

I’m not sure if the animal and human concentrates are at different strengths, so I don’t want to be responsible for your skin peeling off 😉
Well, I’ve been told so many times in my life, by so many females, that I’m an animal, usually with an adjective included (horny dog, disgusting pig, dumb Jackass, etc) that I just about have to believe it’s true. So, I doubt that would be a problem. 😁

Last edited:
How much you cut it depends upon the % that is in the concentrate. For example (see my chart below) for effective % it should be .5%. (One-half of 1%)

Years ago I bought an Ortho product that was 2.5%. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part Ortho to 5 parts water.

Then I bought a product for animals. It was 10% concentrate. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part product and 20 parts water.

View attachment 353060
I’ll have to go out to my garage and get the bottle to see what percentage it is.

I just realized by looking at that Ortho date that I've been using Permethrin for 16 years now. And not to change my luck, but I've not had to dig out a tick in all those years.

You want the clothing application to be a .5% solution. My concentrate is 10% so I go 19 parts water to 1 part concentrate.
Your math is actually spot on as opposed to my 20 parts water to 1 part concentrate. My actual percentage would be 4.762%.....but honestly, I mix it up in an OZ marked bottle and get as close as I can.

So, depending on the mix I could be 19\1, 20\1, or 21\1. But it kills the ticks or makes them leave me alone.

Your math is actually spot on as opposed to my 20 parts water to 1 part concentrate. My actual percentage would be 4.762%.....but honestly, I mix it up in an OZ marked bottle and get as close as I can.

So, depending on the mix I could be 19\1, 20\1, or 21\1. But it kills the ticks or makes them leave me alone.
It’s not 10%. It’s stronger but with help from a good friend I think we got it.

Back