• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Permethrin mixture ratio…….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that treats your hunting attire with permethrin concentrate, what is the mixture ratio you use?

I have some permethrin for animals and I have no idea how I should mix it.
If you don’t get an answer sooner, I can check when I get home from work tonight.

I’m not sure if the animal and human concentrates are at different strengths, so I don’t want to be responsible for your skin peeling off 😉

How much you cut it depends upon the % that is in the concentrate. For example (see my chart below) for effective % it should be .5%. (One-half of 1%)

Years ago I bought an Ortho product that was 2.5%. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part Ortho to 5 parts water.

Then I bought a product for animals. It was 10% concentrate. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part product and 20 parts water.

1728054816992.png

If you don’t get an answer sooner, I can check when I get home from work tonight.

I’m not sure if the animal and human concentrates are at different strengths, so I don’t want to be responsible for your skin peeling off 😉
Well, I’ve been told so many times in my life, by so many females, that I’m an animal, usually with an adjective included (horny dog, disgusting pig, dumb Jackass, etc) that I just about have to believe it’s true. So, I doubt that would be a problem. 😁

Last edited:
How much you cut it depends upon the % that is in the concentrate. For example (see my chart below) for effective % it should be .5%. (One-half of 1%)

Years ago I bought an Ortho product that was 2.5%. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part Ortho to 5 parts water.

Then I bought a product for animals. It was 10% concentrate. So, to get it to the .50% I needed to cut it 1 part product and 20 parts water.

View attachment 353060
I’ll have to go out to my garage and get the bottle to see what percentage it is.

You want the clothing application to be a .5% solution. My concentrate is 10% so I go 19 parts water to 1 part concentrate.
Your math is actually spot on as opposed to my 20 parts water to 1 part concentrate. My actual percentage would be 4.762%.....but honestly, I mix it up in an OZ marked bottle and get as close as I can.

So, depending on the mix I could be 19\1, 20\1, or 21\1. But it kills the ticks or makes them leave me alone.

Your math is actually spot on as opposed to my 20 parts water to 1 part concentrate. My actual percentage would be 4.762%.....but honestly, I mix it up in an OZ marked bottle and get as close as I can.

So, depending on the mix I could be 19\1, 20\1, or 21\1. But it kills the ticks or makes them leave me alone.
It’s not 10%. It’s stronger but with help from a good friend I think we got it.

The Martin's brand permethrin we just bought is a 10% concentrate. We mix it 1 part concentrated permethrin plus 19 parts water (1 part in a total of 20) for a 0.5% solution.

Make sure you get aqueous, not petroleum based. You don't want the smell of the petroleum based product.

Last edited:
The Martin's brand permethrin we just bought is a 10% concentrate. We mix it 1 part concentrated permethrin plus 19 parts water (1 part in a total of 20) for a 0.5% solution.

Make sure you get aqueous, not petroleum based. You don't want the smell of the petroleum based product.
Great. Petroleum based is what this is. Looks like I need to go find a different kind.

It’s not 10%. It’s stronger but with help from a good friend I think we got it.
Don’t think be sure. It is a pesticide. Make sure that you keep it off your skin as it is absorbed through the skin.
Great. Petroleum based is what this is. Looks like I need to go find a different kind.

I have been using the petroleum based for decades without an issue. I don’t care what you do you will never beat a deers nose. Hunt the wind and don’t worry about it.

After I spray my clothing and it drys well I do wash it to remove any excess that isn’t bound to the fabric and to my nose there isn’t a residual odor once it dries.

Bob

Don’t think be sure. It is a pesticide. Make sure that you keep it off your skin as it is absorbed through the skin.

I have been using the petroleum based for decades without an issue. I don’t care what you do you will never beat a deers nose. Hunt the wind and don’t worry about it.

After I spray my clothing and it drys well I do wash it to remove any excess that isn’t bound to the fabric and to my nose there isn’t a residual odor once it dries.

Bob
Thank you for the reply, Bob. However, I beg to differ, in terms of a deers sense of smell. Being an avid bow hunter for many years, I have learned how to beat their noses, and that’s here in the mountains where the wind direction can and does change from one minute to the next. Downdrafts are common as well. There are ways to do it but spraying oneself down with something that has a definite odor to it is not one of them.

Hunting the wind is a definite (for flatlanders) but that does not help much in the mountains, especially while walking in and leaving scent on everything that touches clothing. I have become quite successful overall at beating deers noses over the years, thus my rationale for not using Permethrin long ago. I use no commercial scent control products and I simply do not get busted.

I reckon I’ll try to find some Permethrin with no petroleum base to it. According to research, it is not supposed to have any smell to it. However, I still have my doubts.

Last edited:
Back