• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peter Barry

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about a modern maker or an 18th-19th century maker and are you sure about the spelling of the last name?
Tom Patton

I believe he pass away in 1796? I have a Peter Barry rifle kit being build in the white for me by gun stocker James Kline.It should be done soon,I can't wait to start finishing it. :winking: Rocky

Rocky J,
Maybe Peter Berry fits? Lived in Heidelberg Township. Dauphin Co., Pa./USA .Active at least from 1786 (died 1795).
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

See Joe Kindig Jr.,"Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in its Golden Age",PP.266-273 Nos. 111-115. Arilar is correct in his post although Berry could have worked earlier.His guns stylistically fall into the late 18th century and are similar to Martin Shell and other makers of the Dauphin school.His will was dated 1795.
Tom Patton

Could be more info to be found in "The Pennsylvania-Kentucky Rifle" by Henry J Kaufmann (Stackpole Co., 1960). That is what "Heer Der Neue St

Arilar, Kaufman doesn't show any more than Kindig on Peter Berry. I have a borrowed copy of Stockel's first book so I don't know what's in Der Neue Stockel.I have wondered if the latest edition has been translated into English.I am researching two very early guns from Liege and could use some more help on markings.
Tom Patton

Okwaho,
Heer is 3 books with totally 2287 pages. Havent seen it in other than german language. I think it contains more than the danish original.
Last week landed in my mailbox the book "Four Centuries of Liege Gunmaking" by Claude Gaier.
Maybe I can find some info for you? You are welcome to send me a PM.
Regards,
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Arilar,I too just got Gaier's book and have finished the first part and French trade guns in particular.I have a borrowed copy of Stockel{1938} and while I don't speak Danish I think I found out about all I needed from Gaier on guns I've been researching.I'm still trying to pin down a barrel mark but I doubt I will find it.I recently bought two very good books at a very reasonable price,one on decorated European firearms and the other on decorated American arms and I'll send you a private message on them.
Regards also
Tom Patton :thumbsup:

Hey guys - there were TWO Annville Peter Berrys, father and son. The idea that Peter Sr. who died in 1794/95 was a gunsmith is now largely assumed to be unproven myth. Peter Jr. died in 1835, and was first taxed as a gunsmith in 1786. He is consistently taxed as a gunsmith but his father Peter Sr. NEVER was. Through some genealogical research, I have found that Peter Sr. originally came down into Lebanon Cty. PA (Annville later then became part of Dauphin Cty.) from Massachusetts, and was a Huguenot who originally may have emigrated in through Nova Scotia. Just about all of the surviving Peter Berry rifles are probably ca. 1800-1820: only a very, very small number (ie maybe 2 or 3) could go late 18th century. They tend to be skinnier than the norm, expecially through the wrist and butt.

Back