• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pewter bolster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wayne1967

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried using some type of flux on the surface when pouring a pewter bolster? I keep getting spaces and pockets. Doesn't seem to want to flow right. I know I've got it hot enough.

Try warming the piece you're trying to pour with a blow dryer or heat gun. Also, if you put a little beeswax in the pewter just before you pour, seems to work well for me. Another thing might be that you have it too hot.
Hope this helps, Bud

Here's one I did a while back...
beadelk1.jpg

Thanks. It's on a piece kinda like yours, blade in an antler handle. The space is always next to the antler and the cardboard formed band around it. It doesn't want to form flat next to the antler.

I have poured pewter bands on a couple of curly maple tomahawk handles and have had similar problems. Will beeswax help with that also?

I had a private message that said to use graphite on the contact surfaces. I'll try both.

If wood is not dried after pouring hot pewter, the water begins to evaporate and may develop the empty space...

I use a pencil and it probably helps.

I had gaps too when I first did castings like that. I used a pencil and warmed the blade/antler with an hot air gun and it did help.

wayne1967 said:
Thanks. It's on a piece kinda like yours, blade in an antler handle. The space is always next to the antler and the cardboard formed band around it. It doesn't want to form flat next to the antler.
What I use is a brown paper sack and masking tape to make my mold. It forms way easier than pasteboard (new shirt lining). After it hardens just file/sand it to shape...

I couldn't find my bee's wax but the graphite and heating with a heat gun worked. Thanks all.

Back