• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pewter Nosecap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaho

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I talked with TOW and decided to buy the materials for the pewter nosecap. What I want to do is replace the brass cap on a T/C Hawken with the silver colored nosecap. My plan is also to replace all brass on the gun with steel. I think it will look good. I have two questions:
1) How difficult is it to cast the pewter nosecap?
Has anyone done it using a T/C?
2) Has anyone used clay and made a mold and then poured the pewter into the mold rather then casting in place. I would think with soft clay you could press the brass cap into the play, let it dry a little, pull the brass out and then pour the mold with pewter. Help appreciated.

It's not real hard at all. Remove your nose cap then get a thin piece of cardboard (like a pepsi 12 pack case) and bend it around the stock. Forming a cavity where the nosecap use to be. Get a spring clamp and pinch the two end of the cardboard together on the barrel flats. The flats that are only partically exposed above the stock. You may want to put a litle clay where the stock meets the barrel so it doesn't run when you pour. Then pour. Always melt more than you think you will need. It helps to pass the torch over the barrel a few times to heat it a little.

Won't the pewter run down the stock? How do you kep it from flowing down or is it so think it doesn't do that?

If the mold your suggesting is made of a water based clay, your building a bomb that can cause real harm.

The pewter has a melting point much higher than boiling water so when the melted metal hits anything with water in it it will create a lot of steam which will litterly explode, blowing melted pewter all over you.

If your speaking of an oil based clay I think the resulting casting will come out very rough.
The oil in the clay will create smoke that will make the surface of the hardened metal very rough.

You will have to refinish the stock after you pour the nosecap most likely, The pewter that TOTW sells comes with a direction sheet. If you search the net, you can find info on pouring caps also. It's not hard, but it takes forethought and planning.

You might want to follow this link.
It describes casting a nosecap on a Pecatonica River T/C Hawken replacement stock.
CAST NOSECAPS

The only real difference is with pewter the melting temperature is higher than the material I used and I think the pewter will freeze easier making leaks less of a problem.

Latest posts

Back