• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pheasant hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Golfswithwolves

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally took my SXS shotgun out after pheasants. My gun is a Navy Arms shotgun with IC and Modified jug chokes. My loading was 1 1/4 oz. either 5 or 6 lead shot and 3 3/4 drams of 1F Goex powder using 2 overpowder 1/8" cards and 1 overshot card of the same material (a VM Starr load). Hunting was a little tough, but I managed to down two pheasants with this shotgun! It seems to be about as effective as modern cartridge guns. My shooting was not as good as I would have hoped so I fired a few shots- there were no failures of the shotgun to go off and I reckon this gun is pretty reliable. Cleaning it was easier than I have experienced with other BP rifles and smoothbores. All in all I plan to hunt quite a bit more with this shotgun. :)

The absence of. The drum really aides ignition. Fire straight to powder! Only smoothie i have that's more reliable than my double is my flint fowler.

Man, that sounds like a good outing, congratulations!
:hatsoff:

PS: I'm green with envy...wish we had Pheasants around here...would love to get some hunts with my Flintlock.

Golfswithwolves said:
I finally took my SXS shotgun out after pheasants. My gun is a Navy Arms shotgun with IC and Modified jug chokes. My loading was 1 1/4 oz. either 5 or 6 lead shot and 3 3/4 drams of 1F Goex powder using 2 overpowder 1/8" cards and 1 overshot card of the same material (a VM Starr load). Hunting was a little tough, but I managed to down two pheasants with this shotgun! It seems to be about as effective as modern cartridge guns. My shooting was not as good as I would have hoped so I fired a few shots- there were no failures of the shotgun to go off and I reckon this gun is pretty reliable. Cleaning it was easier than I have experienced with other BP rifles and smoothbores. All in all I plan to hunt quite a bit more with this shotgun. :)

IIRC V.M.Starr used thinner cards, they may go down easier than I have gererally found thick cards to :thumbsup:

Good sport int'it :thumbsup:

Brits.

Back