• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pheasants Knocked Out Of The Sky With My SxS!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Rosenthal

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

Just got back from a FANTASTIC Hunt here in NJ with my buddy Joe and his Pointer named Gypsy! We hunted on a private snow-covered farm that Joe's Club leases. Beautiful day, excellent mature thicket-ed hedgerows, nice warm sunlight, and a GREAT dog! Joe took along three friends including myself and just worked Gypsy. Lots of good hunting action--we harvested a total of (11) birds, and I bagged (3) cleanly and helped-out on the 4th!

They all used centerfire shotguns and I used "The Smoke Choker", my 10 ga. Pedersoli percussion Side-by-Side. I stoked her up with real black powder, a .125 over-powder card, a 10 ga. pre-lubed wonder-wad, a shot (buffered) wad with 1 3/4 oz. of #7.5 shot & (2) over-shot cards. My birds dropped like lead weights, impressing the rest of the hunting party :shocked2: :) . One of the guys has a CVA 12 ga. (that he hasn't gotten-around to using yet) and asked for some pointers, so I cheerfully filled him in on my approach.

At the conclusion of today's Hunt, I let the CVA owner (George) fire-off the last loaded barrel, bringing a smile to his face from ear-to-ear. So maybe he'll try doing it our way soon :wink: .

Thanks to Joe & Gypsy, we all had a wonderful time today!

Dave

Good hunting! :thumbsup: Busting roosters with a ML is sooo much fun, especially when your buddies are shooting CF guns. GW

Roundball, Brown Bear, Swampy, GW and Bald Mtn. Man: Thanks so much for the Kudos and the encouragement!

I just got a phone call from my buddy Joe. I'm invited back this Friday afternoon to go deer hunting on the same property :shocked2: :) so I guess that I did something right :haha: .

I told Joe that I want to bring my Trade Rifle with PRB to try & harvest a deer! Wish me luck you guys, as this is my first deer hunting trip--only have done birds before this!

And the story continues.........

Dave

SWEET! And SWEETER! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Best of luck to ya on your deer hunt. :hatsoff:

No pics :wink:? I went pheasant hunting for the first time Saturday with my remington wingmaster. I have a .56 TC smoothbore with a 26 in. barrel. I've shot clay birds with if before and hit 4 out of 6. The problem is that I only take squirrels out to about 25 yards and won't use any shot bigger than #5 shot so I figured I'd be undergunned for pheasants. I might go quail hunting with the gun because on a preserve a lot of times they flush close so they'd be in range. I keep thinking about sending it to somebody to get it bored out to 20 gauge and having a choke installed. But I'd probably enjoy a longer barrel, though :idunno:.

Careful that a mighty addiction to be getting people hooked on. My son shot his first pheasant with my muzzle loader side by side. Now it is his gun. Had to give it to him. Never been able to get it out of his hands sense.

My daughter is eyeballing one of my and one of her mothers doubles now. this could get costly outfitting the family with doubles.

The sexiness of the gun gets them drawn in. Then the smoke gets hooked

Good for you Lucas on the pheasants :thumbsup: . There's nothing else quite like harvesting pheasants! I think that .56 is a little small for the big birds, so I agree with you. Chasing after cripples isn't the fun part of the hunt. But keep in mind that a lot of us use 7.5 shot for a more dense pattern when using larger gauge cylinder bore ML shotguns. An ounce & 3/4 in a 10 ga. blast extends my range somewhat as well. The smaller shot size also rips less breast meat apart :wink: .

As photos go Joe took a couple and we're waiting to see the results. If I get one, I'll try to post it, or I might need some help doing it, I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the post :thumbsup:

Dave

My 21 yr old son is a senior in college. He's been hooked on shooting BP with me for years :) and I always enjoy his company when he's home from school. So I KNOW about the addiction! Isn't it a wonderful thing? :haha:

Glad to see that you've infected your family so well! :)

Dave

Larry, wattlebuster & Spot thanks for the kind words :thumbsup:

The more folks that get to shoot black powder, the easier it is to keep the hobby alive :) .

Dave

Nothing beats hunting roosters with a double stove pipe. :thumbsup:

Back