• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PHOTO: Old Style TC Flint Lock Assembly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
FYI...This closeup shows the old style 'short' hammer with it's distinctive, more severe 'S' shape to the hammer's body because of it's short length.

The improved taller hammer measures 1+13/16" from the very bottom edge of the hammer to the edge of the bottom jaw, and has a longer, more gentle 'S' shape because of it's longer length.

In addition, the closeup shows the old style case colored frizzen...replacement design frizzens are all black;

http://www.members.aol.com/wjcutbush/tcflintlockasm.jpg

i see the difference in that one and mine....but the color is the same....what year is that one from?....my hawken is 18 months old....when did they change?.............bob

When I expanded into flintlocks 2 years ago, I bought a used TC Hawken, called TC to order a couple of parts to replace worn ones, and in the course of that discussion, was made aware that the current production hammers and frizzens would look different as they had been redesigned.

Was left with the impression that the redesigns were fairly recent at that time, maybe within the immediate prior years, etc...and although I don't know for a fact, it's probably a safe assumption that both parts weren't necessarily redesigned and cut into production at the same time.

An important point about the hammers is to measure them precisely and not just go on the looks of the hammer shank itself...1+13/16" to the edge of the lower jaw is the latest design hammer.

When you say the color is the same, I assume you're referring to the frizzen...the improved frizzens are solid black...your rifle could have had a lock asm installed on it from an existing supply of locks until all the old inventory was used up, dunno...but TC will upgrade redesigned parts at no charge under their excellent lifetime warranty...they've done that for me on several occasions and the new locks are outstanding.

PS: Does your barrel have the improved, redesigned vent liner with the hex wrench opening? If not, my suggestion would be that you consider upgrading it also...TC's new locks & vent liners make their flintlocks shoot like a .30-30

no mine had the screwdriver blade one in it when i bought it....i have replaced mine with there new ones and they shoot real good so far....when i called T/C about there old and new parts and gave them my ser # they told me i had the new hardware on my gun...................bob

Something's doesn't seem right about their record keeping statement...
If TC is called and asked what color the new improved frizzens are they say black;
If an older lock is sent in to be upgraded, it comes back with a black frizzen;
If a new frizzen is ordered to install yourself, it's black;
I've done both these things a number of times in the past two years, the most recent being last week when I received a brand new replacement lock assembly and it had the black frizzen on it;
Don't understand why yours has the old style case colored frizzen on it and yet is only 18 months old...

quote:Originally posted by roundball:
Something's doesn't seem right about their record keeping statement... Don't understand why yours has the old style case colored frizzen on it and yet is only 18 months old... Maybe they had a few of the older case harden frizzens left, and wanted to get rid of them...
smile.gif

OR...

Maybe this is a black frizzen that was case harden in the T/C fire a few years back, sifted out of the ash...
rolleyes.gif

That's just silly, I suspect that T/C may have used frizzens that were stored at their custom shop on this new lock, maybe T/C is going back to the case harden style...
grin.gif

i looked at the frizzen and it's black....but the rest of the lock is blotched colored....sorry about that guys....duh on my part.............bob

Whew...thanks for the feedback...I was beginning to think I was having "senior moments"

PS: "Blotch Colored" = Case Colored (VBG)

I have an older style t/c flintlock. I was very disappointed in the mating of the frizen to the pan. It seemed like there was a gap. This might let moisture whilr hunting, soaking the priming charge. I orderd another frizen, same part fit problem. Finally had a machinist fit the frizen to the pan. Does the new style frizen seal the pan any better ?

Yes, the new improved flint lock assemblies are top notch...a few different parts have been redesigned, etc.
The problem is really with the pan on side plate assembly, not the frizzen it self as far the pan to frizzen mating is concerned...and more often than not the problem was that priming powder would leak out of the pan hunting on a bright sunny day.

Apparently TC went through a period where a number of these out of spec pans on the sideplates escaped quality control.
You could have simply sent it back to TC and they would have sent you a brand new lock assembly at no charge...done it for me more and friends a number of times.

If you've made modifications to the side plate itself, I doubt they'd honor it now...but if your mods were only to the frizzen, put an original frizzen back on it and mail the lock asm to Service Manager Tim Pancurak, with a nice note asking them to fix the pan to frizzen gap...you'll probably have a complete new lock in less than 10 days.

Back