• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Photo op

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zutt-man

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my dad on a bear/mule deer hunt in Colorado this past week. After a few days he filled both of his tags! I was very happy with my bear tag soup with his success.

While I was waiting on my ghost of a bear to appear, I captured some good photos of my Kibler .58

IMG_4441.jpegIMG_4437.jpegIMG_4440.jpegIMG_4434.jpegIMG_4430.jpeg

Nice photos and a trip you'll remember for the rest of your life. I shot a deer with velvet antlers like the ones in the photo. I was hunting with my 8 year old son on Prince of Wales Island in SE Alaska in 1983. I had my Dad's Model 64 Winchester 30-30. My son missed the buck twice with the rifle that didn't fit him at all and he handed it to me saying "you shoot him" which I did. It was about a half mile pack to the road and my son carried the head with those beautiful antlers while I drug out the rest of the deer. This was back when we could buy formaldehyde at the drug store. I wrapped the antlers in rags soaked in the stuff and left them in a garbage bag for a couple of weeks. The rack is hanging today in my son's place in Anchorage and the velvet is as good looking as it was 41 years ago. Good memories!

Great photos; what’s that long brown thing in the first batch?

Sure envy you being able to hunt with your dad, I look back fondly to times that I spent with my father.
Maybe I’m not following on the long brown thing?

He was pretty pumped. We try to hunt the Kansas firearms opener every year as a family. We haven’t done a trip like this together, though. Spent quite a bit of time researching. Trip was for him whether he likes to admit it or not. He’s already talking about future hunts. Said he’d wished he’d practiced with his flintlock more to where he felt comfortable taking it

Last edited:
He’s never done a trip to Colorado like this. Told him he either had some tremendous beginners luck or a helluva guide 🙂

IMG_4364.jpeg

This was dad’s first black powder rifle. He purchased it 35+ years ago after he got into rendezvous and joined a gun club. He would end up getting a flintlock a few years later and moved this gun to the closet.

Something I pointed out to him on our way back from this trip was this gun has now harvested a bison, whitetail, mule deer, black bear and an elk.

Latest posts

Back