• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pics of wooden chests.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minuteman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I made a seat hieght red cedar chest last weekend for storage around the non hiked in camp. It turned out pretty well . It was kinda loosely based on dimensions from a chest lewis and Clark had on the corp of discovery trek.
What I'm wanting to do is find some information about actual chests from the early 1800's something with their dimensions and descriptions so I can make a few for trade and such. They are alot of fun to make!

One of the book of buckskinning books has a chapter on wood camp gear with some excellent plans on a hudsons bay cassette (box) Roomy,cheap and easy to make and durable.I made two about 8 years ago,still in use.They also double as extra seating and tables! I'm going to make two more this spring with forged strap hinges and handles to tote my blacksmithin' tools.

Minuteman,
Here's a sketch I made of a chest up at the rebuilt replica fort at Fort Clatsop National Park, in Astoria, Oregon. I don't know how correct the chest is, but I liked the looks of it.

box7.jpg

I didn't get any measurements of it, but it appears to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 - 16 inches on a side. The straps were rawhide and held down with brass tacks.
Scott

A lot of chests were "6-board chests" They may be dovetailed but many were simply nailed together. They can be any size, it simply depends on your lumber. I have some that I built in 1984 that are just as good as new. If I knew how to post a picture I would.

Many Klatch

Nuttin' gets by you fellers. :surrender: :hatsoff:
Thanks for the responses folks.

Back