• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1851 Powder Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jf19451

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just the Pietta 1851 Navy .44 as a Christmas gift, and was wondering if 25 Grains of GOEX fff is ok to use. The pamplet only talks about Pyrodex. Thanks for any advice.

:)
Is this your first BP revolver? If not then cool, if so be aware that every BP revolver has had its' personal quirks to deal with. This one needs to have the arbor clean between cylinders every time, the other one always works best with a specific powder, no other powder will do. That other one has a too light trigger that shouldn't be that way as you have looked it over and done repairs and it is still doing it...etc....
But that is half the fun I suppose.
:)

The pamplet only talks about Pyrodex.

That is sad. :(
Actually, the C&B revolvers can easily handle whatever will fit in the cylinder and still let you seat the ball. Might not be the best load but will work safely.
Get some real 3Fg bp and test for yourself. Enjoy.

20 grain is a good load for target shooting the 44. Coat the arbor with white lithium grease to help with fowling. Pyrodex works finr but make sure its pistol powder (p) :thumbsup:

I use GOEX in my Flintlock Rifle, that is why I would like to use it in the pistol. This is my first BP Pistol, so any advice would be appreciated.

Though, technically, percussion revolvers can bark out a whole chamber full of powder, the best accuracy will be less than that. If yours has the brass (actually bronze) frame you need to keep the loads light since the frames softer material will eventually stretch under heavy, continuous recoil which prevents the cylinder from locking up solidly. Usually not dangerous, unless taken to extremes, but anything approaching accuracy goes out the window and they can start 'spitting lead'. This is a term coined many years ago when a by-stander got smacked by a tiny sliver of lead sprayed off from a poorly timed revolver. The shooter may not be conscious of it but "guy to the right" or "guy to the left" may notice and make unkind remarks about your lineage! :wink: :haha:

Most revolvers do better, fit wise, with #10 caps and some shooters use corn meal or muffin mix on top of a smaller powder charge to keep the ball near the cylinder face to prevent over ramming and less ball jump to the forcing cone of the barrel breach. Others use lubed fiber wads between powder and ball, it's sort of a shooter's choice. Little cone front sights are nothing to brag about and most of these guns shoot high (government's bright idea: "Hey George, even though cavalry fight real close, let's sight these new pistol guns to 75 yards!"). A little playing with them is usually the trick to getting the most out of them. Still, it's very satisfying to make hassenpfeffer out of the day's results! :thumbsup:

I dont see any problems using substitutes.

I enjoy my guns, i dont mind cleaning them after a shoot.

SOme times ill just run a patch with moose milk threw the barrel and threw the chambers, clean the arbor or cylinder pin and put it back together all of 15 minutes tops.

Other times ill tear it all down and clean everything it just depends on how much i shot it and my mood.

Ill tell ya though ive shot mine dirty and clean in the same day and they are much more accurate clean so if you want to hit anything its best to run a patch threw it after every cylinder

Pete G said:
Pyrodex can be highly corrosive. Stay with the powder that Mosley carried in his sidearm.

Sure it can, just like any other propellant remnants left in a a muzzle-loading-style gun. I've been shooting Pyrodex since it first became available in the late 70's - we lived in Berlin and BP was prohibited by the FPA.

Six handguns and two rifles later, I'm still using it - with no corrosion issues - IF you clean the gun as soon as you can do it.

tac

I like how tripple 7 has a little more pop for the same volume load but its finicky on how you pack it. It seems to like a filler best.

Pyrodex doesnt need any extra care other then the cleaning.

Back