• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1860 army wedge removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbseagle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i just bought my first black powder revolver this weekend from Cabela's they had the 1860 army with the spare cylinder on sale. i am having a problem getting the wedge pin out to clean the inside of the barrel. I loosened the screw and put it on half cock, but no matter what i do i can't get the thing to come out. I followed the directions in the manual and it said it might be hard to get out, but i don't want to break any thing or damage the gun. any suggestion or directions on how to get this part done will be appreciated.
Thanks rbseagle

There is a "Wedge Spring" that has a notch in it to keep it from being lost.
(Look under the wedge)
This spring may be holding the wedge in place, depress the spring to help release it,, and/or use a wood, rawhide or rubber mallet and give it a sharp rap.

No need to loosen the wedge spring screw - it is there to retain the wedge and not let it fall out and get lost. Use a NON-MARRING hammer and give the end of the wedge a rap - it will retract - pull on the wedge head till it is stopped by the screw. Use the ram rod to "jack" the barrel off the arbor/frame. When replacing the barrel wedge don't force it into the other side of the wedge opening like it is now - snug is OK. Some say a cylinder gap of 0.008" to 0.010" is about right - I don't know for sure but you do want a small gap so as not to bind up the rotation of the cylinder -- that will happen on it's own when you fire the gun from the blackpowder residue. Have fun - be safe :wink: .

Common problem with these guns. Luigi uses a jack hammer at the factory to install the wedges. Using a rubber or leather mallet to drive out the wedge is what many have to do. Stay at it you'll get it out with a little effort.

Don

The wedge has a slight taper on its sides.
The taper starts out narrow on the right side of the pistol and widens as it goes towards the left side.

This taper tightens the barrel towards the cylinder when it is installed.

As the others said, use some sort of non-marring material against the end of the wedge on the right side and use a hammer to drive the wedge out of it's engagement with the arbor pin that the cylinder rotates on.

The wedge does not have to be removed from the barrel. In fact, the small screw's job is to catch on the hooked end of the small flat spring that is in the bottom of the wedge to keep the wedge from falling out after it is loose.

You will probably find that it takes quite a stout blow with the hammer to get the wedge loose.

You will also find that after the wedge is loose, the barrel still acts like it is held onto the gun and it cannot be pulled off with hand pressure.
This is normal.

To remove the barrel, place the hammer at half cock.
Rotate the cylinder until one of the solid areas between the chambers lines up with the loading lever ram.

Release the loading lever and pull down on it.

This will force the ram against the front of the cylinder and it will jack the barrel off of the receiver.

When you reassemble your pistol, push the barrel in place as far as you can using hand pressure.
Then, push the wedge into place until it won't move further.

A few light taps with a small hammer or block of wood is usually all that is needed to get the barrel into its installed position. You do not have to pound the wedge in until the right side of it is sticking out of the side of the barrel.
Most Colt C&B wedges don't stick out.

Note: The small hook on the end of the little flat spring in the barrel wedge IS NOT there to catch on the right side of the barrel when it is installed. It is there to catch the screw head when the wedge is removed.

After you've installed the wedge correctly, it will be much easier to remove the next time you want to take your pistol apart. :)

Oh. I almost forgot to mention, the lower area of the barrel should be a tight fit with the front of the frame after the wedge is installed.

The cylinder will still be loose and it will move back and forth from front to rear a little bit.

Don't worry about it.
This is normal behavior for a cap & ball pistols cylinder.
Also, if you push the cylinder to the rear you will notice the gap between the front of the cylinder and the rear of the barrel is much larger than a modern revolver would have.

This larger gap is needed to provide some room for the black powder fouling that ends up on the front of the cylinder when the gun fires.

If the gap was as small as a modern smokeless powder revolvers gap, the cylinder would lock up after just a few shots.

One thing I might add when using the rammer to push off the barrel group is to put a pop cycle stick between the rammer end and chamber wall face before pushing it off so you won't potentially put a ding in the cylinder face.
I always pull my rammers and cut a semicircle face on them so the ball or bullet face doesn't get distorted while seating from some of the funky shapes that come from the factory I have seen on them.

Fellows i appreciate all the info. I finally got it out Tuesday evening. sorry about not responding sooner to all the comments, but been out in the field working and have not been close to the computer. I totally agree with the jack hammer comment. I finally made me a punch out of a piece of aluminum and file it on the end to fit the contour of the wedge. I start off easy but it did not come out until I treated like a 16 penny nail.
All I have to now is buy some slik-shot nipples from what I have been reading and i will be ready to go. if there is any other help full info that yall can provide for a revolver newbie send it my way. i have been wanting one of these pistols for a long time i was leaning toward the Uberti, but i could not pass up the sale $329 regular with extra cylinder i gave $200 do yall believe i did alright?
Thanks rbseagle

Very good price and shoot the gun first before replaceing the nipples it might do fine with the factory nipples - have fun :thumbsup: .

Jessie James had to use a horse and a gun to make a deal like that so good going.

Back