• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta '51 Navy Upgrade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSCGunslinger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I was examining my replacement Cabela's '51 navy the other day in better light and found some interesting new changes that seem to have been made to the gun.

First off, I noticed that the sighting notch on the hammer is not nearly as deep as the revolver I sent in to be replaced. Barely 1/16" deep. I'm thinking I might have to deepen this groove, but I want feedback from you all first (not to mention shooting it to see what range it might be sighted for).

Second, and the one I am most happy about, is it now seems that on the back of the cylinder in the space between each nipple, is a small protrusion that allows the hammer to slip over so the cylinder will not rotate onto the next cap, allowing the C&B to be carried at full capacity safely. Does anybody else's revolver have these?

Keep in mind, I bought my original '51 in august of last year and just got my replacement late last month, so these changes had to have been made recently, unless I'm just missing something... :hmm: :results:

For some reason, probably had something to do with a Lawyer, they quit putting the little protrusion between the chambers for the hammer to rest on them a few years ago. You are supposed to carry them with the hammer down on an empty chamber. which is the safest way. The safety notch on the Remington revolvers is actually pretty safe, but the one on the Colts never was. If the hammer wasn't on it just right, it could slip off and then cause an accidental discharge. :m2c:

it must be some lawerying stuff. I own a few older colt repros and once you set the hammer down on that little "protrusion" you aint moving it without cocking the hammer, no matter how badly you abuse the revolver. Our civil war reenactment unit has never had a problem with these "safties" in over 15 years, and yes we generally carry them with all 6 cylinders loaded, but we have a requirement they must be carried in a full flap holster. :results: :imo:

i got a '51 navy in 44cal from cabellas last november and it has those saftey notches. be careful not to drop the hammer on them. they deform pretty easily (oops)

FSCGunslinger,
Go ahead and shoot to see where POA falls, then file as needed. Almost every C&B revolver I have shot high and had to have the rear sight filed a little. Story is that these were originally made for POA to be at 50 yards, so shoot high at what we call normal pistol distance...

Regards,

Ivery

I still find it funny that "normal" pistol distance of 50 feet plus, seems to have been replaced with half of that with modern arms.

Bezoar,
Probably has to do with competitive shooting. Targets are large and close, so shooters can shoot fast. Move the targets out farther, either more misses or slows shooter down, not as impressive. A lot of the modern hadgun concepts are a product of the competition guns used in such sports as IPSC and IDPA, so we begin to adopt those ideas about distance and such. We pretty consistently shoot our open sighted hanguns out to 75 yards at a 15" steel plate. Slow, but teaches accuracy...

Regards,

Ivery

Back