• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta Uberti nipples

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hankster1962

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I own three cap and ball revolvers. Two are Pietta 1858 Target models and one is an older Gregorelli Uberti 1851 in 36 cal. My question is, are the nipples from a 1851 Uberti and an 1851 Pietta interchangeable? Reason I am asking is that around here it is easier to get parts from the Pietta, as there is a distributor close by. I know there appears to be a difference between the New Model Army and the Navy models, or at least there appears to be. Need someone who knows to help answer this question. Looking for a replacement part for my Uberti Navy 1851. thanks

hard to say for sure positive.
But since you got both
pull the nipple and see if they interchange.
The threading is the only thing you really need to worry about.
While you are doing that, compare the height from the bottom of the shoulder to the top for height.
If they do interchange then it's simple to order.
If not, you really need a thread pitch gauge to confirm the threading on both.

Avoid the manufacturer nipples - both Uberti and Pietta. From what I've seen of both, they likker up some old blind woman and set her up with the foot-powered nipple grinding wheel. While I do have a revolver using factory nipples, it took the nipples from several other revolvers to dimensionally match 6 of them.

Look for Ampco/Treso nipples. They're tougher than even stainless steel, and, unlike the factory nipples, are precision made.

Jediah-starr has the best selection of Ampco nipples and ships quickly:
http://jedediah-starr.com/closeup.asp?searchWord=treso ampco nipples&pid=3032&offset=0

click on the dropdown box to find the sizes you need

Last edited by a moderator:
Old model Uberti revolvers had M6x.75 threads for the nipples, the same as Pietta today.
I don't know when Uberti started using 12x28 threads.
An easy way to tell is take a nipple from your Pietta, and try it in your Uberti.

I just went thru this with a Uberti 51 Navy (.44cal), and mine was made in 1969, and it was a M6x.75 thread. My 1860 Uberti Army is M6x.75 also, and it was made in 1970.
Newer Ubertis are 12x28 thread.

barracudadave67

The first thing I do with an Italian reproduction revolver is to replace the nipples - they are often for #10 caps and cheapos. And, particularly for Uberti, the nipples are often way over-tightened. Get them off while you can. Keep anti-seize lube on the threads.

barracudadave67 said:
Old model Uberti revolvers had M6x.75 threads for the nipples, the same as Pietta today.
I don't know when Uberti started using 12x28 threads.
An easy way to tell is take a nipple from your Pietta, and try it in your Uberti.

I just went thru this with a Uberti 51 Navy (.44cal), and mine was made in 1969, and it was a M6x.75 thread. My 1860 Uberti Army is M6x.75 also, and it was made in 1970.
Newer Ubertis are 12x28 thread.

barracudadave67

I've got 2 Uberti 1860's: one made in 1967 and the other 2013.

There is definitely a difference in parts configuration between the two. I wanted to put the old grips on the new gun, since it was a lot nicer looking. Grips, grip frame and triggerguard are completely different between the two - looks like they switched from metric threads from the old, to SAE for the newer. Not sure what year "Newer" is, but id anyone has plans on working on their older (60's-70's anyway) be sure the replacement parts are made for the old model.

Back