• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pig load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if u can shoot for the neck. goes down fast. if u miss u dont have a wounded pig to look for. nasty
situation

Bull, those are great pics. I had no idea that the heart lung was so small and that the spine dropped down that low. Good stuff to know. :thumbsup:

Yep good pix and shot placement is the key,3 yrs ago shot a big russian quartering away @about 15yrds with a 460S&W,got part of the liver ,most of the lungs and just nicked the heart.The ole boy just stood there looking @ me 'til I put another round into his neck scary stuff I'll tell ya. he weighed 340Lbs. guide was laughing and said he was dead from the 1st shot and didn't know it.I didn't see that it was all that funny @ the time :( good eating though!!!!

Chris, the 60 gr load has plenty of power. I go up to about 110-120 in mine just to make it shoot flat to about 115 yards or so. Dan Phariss has a pic here of a .54 ball from a pistol and what it did to an elk leg bone. The 1:70" GM barrel I have shoots better the heavier you load it. YMMV.

I really don't agree that 60gn is enough for big hogs. You should be using a stiffer load than that, I would say 80gn ffg as a minimum. I shot a big boar in the head with a .54 recently at ten yards and dropped him cold. While I was patting myself on the back he came good and I had to fend him off with my boot sole. That was the last I saw of him.

Broadside in or just behind the crease that ball will do the job. Here is what happens on the inside:

LUNGS.jpg

.54 cast roundball 100gn FFg shot at 50-60 yards. Recovery about the same. (close enough to get to me and rip me if placement was wrong). Interestingly the lung on the left was the entrance hole side.

The last time I checked, feral swine have not been cross breeding with cape buffalo or elephants, thus they can be killed.

My hog trapper has has taken one hog which weighted 300 and one at 350, his largest to date since he started trapping. Very few feral hogs in the wild will weigh over 225 or so.

If you are paying to hunt hogs 300 lbs. and over, they have been fed and are stocked for hunting for the most part.

The majority of the hogs I kill, are shot with a .222 when free ranging, in the trap it's rim fire. Study hog anatomy and you will find they are built different than a deer, shoot further forward.

Dah shield, there is a group where I live whom hunt hogs with dogs and kill them with knives. How can a knife penetrate the shield and not a round ball. Oh, if you castrate a male hog the shield will dissolve after castration.

My hog trapper told me how many piglets he catches in his traps and how they squeal when he loads them up. He said only once has he been challenged by a female hog.

Anything that will kill a white tail deer will take care of a hog.

That large entrance hole is usually what I see on deer. It makes sense when you think about it. Most of the prbs power is delivered in the earliest part of penetration and should make the larger hole.

Notice when cf guns are tested in ballistic gel, the contact hole is huge and tapers off to a rather small channel at the end. Not enough power at the end to make a big hole. Nevertheless, I am always impressed with damage such as in your pic.

Yep. shot hundreds of them with a .222. They used to be in plague here before aerial shooting and baiting. The biggest mob I saw was over 300 strong. Pretty impressive sight. They opened up commercial chillers here for export to Europe and that thinned them out a bit. It wasn't uncommon to shoot up to 50 in a night.

When a boar comes back to life after being stunned by a .22 cal bullet and you have got hold of them in the dark you are in for a very interesting little rodeo. I have seen cranky boars charge and hit vehicles unprovoked just like a rhino would.

Whatever you shoot, a big boar is an impressive & fearless animal. It seems that every pickup truck in rural Australia has a team of huge armoured lugging dogs in the back. The weapon of choice, either an old bayonet or sharpened screwdriver which gets pumped in and out behind the front leg.

I watched a friend get chased around and around his motorbike while he emptied his 30/30 at a 250lb boar.

My point is that there is a window of opportunity for a big cranky boar to tear you a new one just after you shoot it. The idea behind bigger harder hitting loads is to cause enough trauma early on to take away that boar's resolve to do you harm. It is especially important for muzzleloader shooters because we are usually up close. Obviously not all pigs will behave that way but it only takes one to change your mind.

BTW we used to have days where we would chase them on bikes, hook the leg over them and pull them against the bike then slow down with the hand brake. We then dispatched them with a ball paen hammer on the forehead. Thrills and spills.

I used to carry a .357mag pistol on the motorbike & seriously you may as well have been throwing rocks at them. We were always getting knocked of our bikes by p...d off boars. We developed a technique where we would stand with our feet well apart and as the boar charged in grab him by the ears and push his head down.

Then hopefully, if your offsider wasn't wetting himself with laughter he would come in behind and grab a back leg with each hand but with arms crossed over. As he lifts the back feet off the ground and pulls his arms open the legs would cross and flip the boar over. Then a knife in the heart or hammer to the head or whatever.

I know a bloke that had neither and had to scrounge for a piece of fencing wire and used that as a weapon to pierce the heart from behind the front leg. As you can imagine I have a lot of respect for the tenacity of a big wild boar When they were thick on the ground stockmen were sometimes getting their horses gutted by boars charging in hitting their bellies with a tusk. The worst of it is I think they'd probably eat you too!

So on the off chance you have not shot a lot of open sights. I like to think about my exit,the off side, where the ball will come out. For me it tends to remind me to poke the hole through the boiler room and not just set my sight on a shoulder without regard to the angle of the body.

Now that there are so many youtubes out you can see shots where the shooter seems to expect the round to go shoulder to shoulder when they aimed shoulder to far side back leg! Hope this helps you slip a RB into the pump.

Latest posts

Back