• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pillow ticking patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw heck, guys..............the fabric and lingerie depts are great places to pick up women at Wally World! :: :crackup:

Don't that depend on the size of the lingere? :crackup:

Hey, stumpkiller! That patch knife is a beaut! I wear a patch knife on a leather lace around my neck when I'm all gussied up in my buckskins, but I've never used it. I see some guys at the line with a strip of pillow ticking hanging from their mouths. They short start the ball flush with the muzzle and use the patch knife to trim the patch even with the muzzle. The ticking is lubed by their spit. The cut it off and the cut end goes back to their mouths. They get real thirsty. At least, I think they do, cuz after the shootins done, they need a few libations.

I get real fancy cutting patches. For my 50, 54 and 58 I took a 1 3/8 hole saw, ground the teeth off and put an edge on it. I put this into the drill press with a piece of scrap lumber for the saw to cut against. I lay the fabric over the wood block and cut little circles out of the fabric. An hour will give you 2 to 3 hundred little round patches. You can up production by cutting a couple of layers at a time. This goes faster for me than using scissors.

--Mike

Hey, stumpkiller! That patch knife is a beaut! I wear a patch knife on a leather lace around my neck when I'm all gussied up in my buckskins, but I've never used it. I see some guys at the line with a strip of pillow ticking hanging from their mouths. They short start the ball flush with the muzzle and use the patch knife to trim the patch even with the muzzle. The ticking is lubed by their spit. The cut it off and the cut end goes back to their mouths. They get real thirsty. At least, I think they do, cuz after the shootins done, they need a few libations.

Thanky. Last November it was still running around in the woods (that was from my regular season buck). The "guard" was an 80

jdkruger,
I've been using blue & white pillow ticking from Wal-Mart. For my .50 cal I cut 1 1/4" square patches. Unlike many people, I don't wash it.
vanstg

If you take a long strip of pillow ticking and fold it over and over, about the size patch you like, then you can take a pair of scissors and cut the corners of the bunch on each of the four corners. Upon unfolding, you have a nice long strip of little diamond shaped patches, all held together by a bit of strip left on each. I hang this on the strap of my horn, or shooting bag, and spit patch on the muzzle. The patches are much easier to trim with my patch knife. Beats cutting out paper dolls, ron in SW FL

Latest posts

Back