• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pin stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetsniper

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Have just recieved my kit gun and the pin stock is nowhere to be found. Could I use 4 penny finish nails in a pinch or is there some other substitute?

You can. I don't know what size in common measurement a 4 penny is. I use 5/64" music wire that you can get at most hardware stores. It it spring tempered, and very uniform in diameter.

Because of the consistent dia., semi-hardness and low cost of 1/16" piano or music wire, that's all I use. Hobby shops and hardware stores carry it and the last batch was ordered through Ace Hardware. Used to use 3/32 dia. brass stock but the piano wire is stiffer, stronger and the hole is less obtrusive because of smaller size. Some object to the !/16 dia. because of drilling difficulties but that's never been a problem w/ me.....Good stuff.....Fred

I've used cheap 1/16" drill bits. Also 1/16" brass rod from your local hardware store.

'Don't see why a brad wouldn't work just as well.

I cut 1/16 dia. piano wire w/ American made diagonal cutters....the cheap Chinese cutters evidently aren't hard enough and either chip or are dented.....Fred

do you guys use the same size pins for the barrel tenons as the thimbles?I use a large size for holding the barrel on than the pipe pins, can't recall what size it was, seems like it was a small finish nail or welding rod.

I used 1/16" (.0625") on trigger guard, barrel pinning, and ramrod thimbles. keep it simple. Music wire is available at most hobby stores. Check the section where model aircraft are located. It is a commom building material. comes in 36" pieces, enough to make a few guns.

I use 4d finish nails and a #49 drill. I just looked at the nail box and there were 630 nails in it when new. I could never in my life time use all these nails. I have used 1/16" stainless rod but I don't have good luck with 1/16" bits. I think it would be easier to use the same diameter pins thru out the whole rifle which ever pins you use,

I guess I just do things the hard way I know at least once or twice I used very small pins for the pipes and larger ones for the barrel, not real large probably 1/16 i have had to go up a step when redoing a gun do to a lot of wear in the existing holes. How about the originals same size all around or any oddballs back then?

That sounds about right, me and you is OK, the rest of the world is all mixed up....

1/16" seems too small for a barrel, but that's just my opinion. Also,trying to drive out a pin that small usually ends in heartache.

I also elongate the holes in the barrel lugs to allow for back and forth movement.

"Would I be able to cut this with regular diagonal pliers? "
---------
Most likely not.
Music wire (or piano wire) is hardened and tougher than owl do-do.
It can put dents into the jaws of even good wire cutters.

The best way I've found to cut it is with a Dremel abrasive cut off wheel or by using the corner of my bench grinder wheel.

I use 1/16 dia MW for all of my guns thimbles and trigger-guards and 5/64 diameter wire for the barrel underlugs.

I think the 1/16 wire would work fine for the underlugs but by using the 5/64 wire I get two advantages over the 1/16 wire.

First, the drill bits are longer for the larger wire which makes drilling thru the fore-arm easy.

Second, during the course of the build, I install and remove the barrel many times. By using the larger wire I can use a short piece of 1/16 dia wire as a punch to drift out the larger barrel pins without it scraping the inside of the holes and "wearing them out".

I've used #4 nails and the downside is that #49 drill bits are tough to get out here in the hinterland. You've gotta order them online and the little suckers break. To save me that hassle I ordered a 6' piece of 1/16" 1095 drill rod through Amazon.com for like 2 bucks. There's enough there to keep me going for a long time and its good carbon steel which is stronger than the thicker #4 finish nails... Not that I'm worried about either. Ever meet anyone who had a pin fail on a muzzleloader? I've never heard of it.

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
I use #3 & # 4 finish nails. Cheap, easy to cut & use & have never had a problem with them. We are not anchoring a ship to a pier, we are holding a barrel to a piece of wood. :wink:

"we are holding a barrel to a piece of wood."

or holding a piece of wood to a barrel.. funny this never came up before or I just missed it, I always thought two different pin sizes was the norm,guess it all depends on whom one learns from.

i've used 3/32 welding rod and 1/8 brazing rod for pins gun stocks and knife handles

funny this never came up before or I just missed it, I always thought two different pin sizes was the norm,guess it all depends on whom one learns from.

I'll tell ya something to try, just for the heck of it. Take a piece of maple & cut a slot in it & take a old piece of barrel, dovetail a underlug into it. Now clamp that piece of wood into the vice, put a scale on the barrel & with just a #3 finish nail in it, you are going to be AMAZED of what weight of pull it takes to rip that pin out of that piece of wood. ........ :shocked2:

I can imagine how much holding power a small pin would have, and as Sean said, I cannot recall of hearing about "pin" failure.....might be a problem with Indian pins though?

Latest posts

Back