• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pine needle hat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After being shown how to do work with pine needles at the Wild Horse rendezvous on Memorial Day by my friend Chris Haxton, I thought I'd give it a try. I did a small basket first, and after finding out how easy it is to do, tackled a bigger project.
It took a couple buckets of pine needles, probably 100 yards+ of string, some thin leather for a sweat band, and some Fox braid for the hatband.
I don't know how many hours I have in the project. I would sit on the deck in the evenings watching the critters wander by, or while watching TV.
Any how, this was the end result. So, if you want a cheap hobby to consume many hours work, and get a nifty hat, start gathering pine needles!

View attachment 343530
FANTASTIC!! It looks just like the hats that the Amish guys wear here in NE Pa. when they barn raise.
Great job, I'm envious of your skill.
God bless:
Two Feathers

After being shown how to do work with pine needles at the Wild Horse rendezvous on Memorial Day by my friend Chris Haxton, I thought I'd give it a try. I did a small basket first, and after finding out how easy it is to do, tackled a bigger project.
It took a couple buckets of pine needles, probably 100 yards+ of string, some thin leather for a sweat band, and some Fox braid for the hatband.
I don't know how many hours I have in the project. I would sit on the deck in the evenings watching the critters wander by, or while watching TV.
Any how, this was the end result. So, if you want a cheap hobby to consume many hours work, and get a nifty hat, start gathering pine needles!

View attachment 343530
That's freaking Awesome!!!!! Great job!!!!!

Walt

The instructions I had said to collect the needles (I use red pine) and then place them in the freezer for a few days to kill any bugs in them. I just dampened them again before using them to make them pliable again.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

The instructions I had said to collect the needles (I use red pine) and then place them in the freezer for a few days to kill any bugs in them. I just dampened them again before using them to make them pliable again.

snapper
Did you use dry or green needles?

I just watched this, glad I didn't learn from her! Over complicated for a beginner! The one I posted is just as hard. I'm happy I had a hillbilly to teach me!
This has become a very popular pastime. If you search pine needle basket on YouTube you will find a wide and varied collection of projects to choose from. Here’s one that is easy to watch and informative.

An update for any thinking of following this path. I gather another batch of pine needles, and have been preparing them for use.
Then yesterday driving down the road, I saw field after field of fresh wheat straw. I picked up a garbage bag full and brought it home.
I made a start on another hat with it, and the advantages are obvious. Hardly any prep time, and the longer pieces are going twice as fast as the pine needles did. It is easier to pull the stitches tight, and needs very little if any soaking, once you get the first tight starting rounds done.
I'm using a slightly smaller diameter tube on this, and I am guessing the hat will weigh half of what the pine needle hat does. Not that it is all that heavy, but lighter will be nice in really hot weather.

Stay tuned.

View attachment 343530
This is the most amazing thing I’ve seen all week! I’d look good in that hat! Excellent work!

@waksupi - Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I've been gone since Aug. 22nd and haven't had access to a computer so didn't see your question until this morning.

So, with that said, I've used both green & dry needles. When I collect my needles I only take those I find on the ground. The green ones I've used were all on the ground after a storm rolled through. I'm sure the wind pulled them off the tree but since they were on the ground, I was willing to use them. As it turns out, the greener needles add a different color pattern to the finished basket so they add a nice touch.

snapper

@waksupi - Sorry for the delay in responding to your question. I've been gone since Aug. 22nd and haven't had access to a computer so didn't see your question until this morning.

So, with that said, I've used both green & dry needles. When I collect my needles I only take those I find on the ground. The green ones I've used were all on the ground after a storm rolled through. I'm sure the wind pulled them off the tree but since they were on the ground, I was willing to use them. As it turns out, the greener needles add a different color pattern to the finished basket so they add a nice touch.

snapper
Do you find there is shrinkage in the green needles as they dry in a finished project?

No. The green needles have acted just like the dry, brown ones. They've held up surprisingly well. My wife and I operate a small B&B and I made a large basket that we use to serve muffins in. It's been in use now for almost 2 years and it's still holding up well; even with all the handling it gets from our guests.

Hope that helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. Until then...be well.

snapper

Latest posts

Back