• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pinning a matchlock barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

himem777

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Dose anyone know how the English held their barrels in? Traditionally in around 1600. Ive looked and cant figure it out. Also don't know how they brown the barrel in the 1750's. Please help, I know they didn't go to Dixie or Track...but every post I can find out there dose. :idunno:

I googled "matchlock photos" and came up with a bunch of pictures. In every one that I could see that much detail, the barrels were pinned with at least two pins. Samples included English, French, and Danish.

Thanks all my pics there was not enoph detail.I think Ill ask about barrel browning in another area. :wink:

I don't think they browned or blued barrels in the matchlock era. They probably just acquired a patina over the years.

The swedish M/1620 that I copied from a museum species used three tenons and pins to hold barrel to stock. Tenons were dovetailed to underside of barrel.
Magnus

The swedish M/1620 that I copied from a museum speciemen used three tenons and pins to hold barrel. Tenons were dovetailed to barrel.
Magnus

Hi Matchlock,
Barrels were pinned using lugs dovetailed across the barrel or morticed into the bottom of the barrel. Morticing involved cutting a shallow mortice the shape of the lug in the barrel, then filing a dovetailed base on the lug the same size as the mortice. The lug was tapped into the mortice and the edges of the mortice were then peened down around the base to lock it in place.

In the 17th century barrels and locks were usually left white (polished), heat blued, or russeted. Heat bluing was usually just heating the barrel to a 525-550 degrees to impart a blue color. Charcoal bluing was also used. The book "Espingarda Perfeyta" has a chapter describing the heat bluing of 17th century Portuguese and Spanish barrels (the best in the world at that time). Russeting is a bit of a mystery. Some think it was some sort of brown painting or coating. John George in his book on English guns mentions it as a pigmented coating that was brown and had been used to protect metal since medieval times. Russeting was very common on English military guns and early fowlers. Gunsmiths in the 1630's charged 4 pence for whitening (polishing)and russeting a musket barrel.

dave

Back