• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Bucket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This post should probably be listed in "The Craftsman" Forum. And, I hope the Moderator can list there also. But I thought the Pre-Flintlock audience would also like to view. Anyway, those of you who receive Muzzleloader Magazine may have noticed an article in the March issue by T.C.Albert titled: Making A Horse Pistol Holster. Thought you guys would like to see some color photos of the Pistol Bucket in the article. I plan on using this for a 1640's impression. I needed a way to carry the big wheel lock pistol. Just too big and long to carry at the waist. I knew these were carried in pistol "buckets" on horse saddles. Since I don't own a horse, I needed something for foot carry. So I finally came up with the idea of a period type bucket converted for foot carry. I was fortunate to have stirred the interest of T.C. enough that he agreed to take on the project. All I told T.C. is that I wanted a period type bucket to carry baldric style, so it spread the weight of the pistol across the entire upper torso. Like a sword baldric. I left everything else to the Artist's research and imagination. With T.C.'s experience and reputation, I new I would end up with something really cool. What I was not expecting, is that the bucket and baldric are tooled with period type motiffs!!! WOW!! To say that I am pleased with the finished product would be a hugh understatement. Anyway, enjoy the photos and thanks for looking. Rick.
pistolbucket001.jpg

pistolbucket002.jpg

pistolbucket003.jpg

pistolbucket004.jpg

pistolbucket005.jpg

pistolbucket006.jpg

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx74/rickystl/pistol%20bucket/pistolbucket007.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx74/rickystl/pistol%20bucket/pistolbucket008.jpg
pistolbucket009.jpg

pistolbucket010.jpg

pistolbucket012.jpg

pistolbucket011.jpg

One more I forgot to add showing the adjustable buckel. The baldric will actually detach from the bucket if desired. The buckel is an old harness buckel.
pistolbucket007.jpg

A beautiful piece of work, is that Beaver fur shown in the first photo?

Ricky

Thanks for the photos I loved the article you wrote in Muzzleloader magazine. I had a similiar idea a a few years ago the making and wearing of a holster to be worn on the back. I was curious if the practice was period and the idea got put on the far back burner. Thanks again for the pics and the article these are a great help and inspiration to make one myself. Also thank you very much for writing about a subject involving the 17th century, we need more ariticles like that.

Sincerely

AJ Deery

Hi AJ. Thanks for the kind words. However, the Article in Muzzleloader was written by T.C. Albert who made the Bucket. I'm just the lucky owner :grin: Another neat feature is the inside of the Bucket is lined with black sheepskin. This keeps the pistol from wobbling and provides extra padding for the back while carrying. Both hands are free. Anyway, glad you like it. Rick.

Wonder if one could find patterns for this type of project? A truly neat piece of historical accoutrement seldom seen. Didn't see the article so don't know what was included. Great piece of work! Bill

Hi Bill. I've never seen a pattern anywhere. The article is in the March issue of Muzzleloader. You can order a single copy. T.C. Albert talks about how he made it and there are drawings. He does have a Web-Site. It seems he often does one-off type projects, but not sure. Rick.

Thanks much for all the kind words...it was alot of fun to design and make this for Rick...I got lucky and it turned out pretty good I think...
thanks again...
TC

A well deserved feature article on TV can be found in the latest Muzzle Blasts mag. Loved the bucket holster article as well.

ricky thank you so much for sharing .i am gonna build a tower dragoon pistol from a piece of family farm walnut..i thought how cool would it be to make a holster for it and presto the mag shows up and there is your article ..so cool thanks again for sharing incredible pics and work...

Latest posts

Back