• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol Dates?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am involved in a discussion in our group about cap and ball revolvers. :surrender: I tried search but nothing. I am looking for the dates (different makers and models) that they were introduced. Any ideas where to go??

Thanks to all!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Cheers, DonK

Well, I'm very disappointed. I thought I had a date! :(

There is a book called "Percussion Pistols and Revolvers, History, Performance and Practical Use" by Tommy Bates. I have never seen the book, but maybe it has dates. Also look into "Colt Firearms Since 1836" By James Serven.

Regarding a couple of Ubertis: Model 1851 Navy steel & brass frame ca. 1957/58, Model 1858 Remington Army ca. 1958/59, Model 1860 Army April 1963.
Regarding Belgian Centaures "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY" check www.1960nma.org for all the details.
Bootsie

Last edited by a moderator:
Lewis Winant’s “Early Percussion firearms” is a good start ..
It gives the reader a pretty comprehensive History on the percussion cap and the percussion firearm.

Twice

msuspartandon said:
I am involved in a discussion in our group about cap and ball revolvers. :surrender: I tried search but nothing. I am looking for the dates (different makers and models) that they were introduced. Any ideas where to go??

Thanks to all!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Cheers, DonK

Are you asking about replicas or originals? BP Revolver on the forum here has a lot of information & sources on replicas. For originals, "English Pistols and Revolvers" by J.N. George covers a lot of ground, has decent photos & is inexpensive in reprint format.

I am referring to replicas. We have a few members in a friendly discussion of the time period for what is PC and what is too late.

We have in our by-laws that we are re-enacting from 1855 and below. Why 1855 no one seems to know. :idunno:

Just want some accurate ammo for the discussion. Thanks all.

Cheers, DonK

Sounds like your after the original guns production dates. A few dates for the more common reproduction pistols follows:

Colt's Pattersen No. 5, .36 cal: 1838-1840
Colt Walker: 1847
Colt's Whitneyville Walker: 1847
Colt's Walker Replacement Dragoon: 1848
Colt's 1st Model Dragoon: 1848-1850
Colt's 2nd Model Dragoon: 1850-1851
Colt's 3rd Model Dragoon: a851-1861
Colt Model 1848 Baby Dragoon: 1847-1850
Colt Model 1849 Pocket Revolver: 1850-1873 (.31 cal. both with/without loading lever.)
Colt Model 1851 Navy: 1850-1873
Colt's Root Model 1855: 1855-1870
Remington-Beals Army*: 1861-1862
Remington New Model Army*: 1863-1875
Remington New Model Navy*: 1862
Whitney Navy: 1858-early 1860's
Pepperboxes: 1836-1858
Starr Arms: 1858-1865

* These Remingtons are often called "Remington 1858's" because of Beals Patent date marked on the barrel however they did not go into production until the 1860's.
Dates derived form "FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS...and their values" 9th Ed.

Thanks for the * on the Remingtons. I've often told folks that the "Model" designations we use nowadays were not used originally. Seems like in the early 20th century, collectors started tagging certain firearms with "model" designations to make it easier to identify, a sort of shorthand, if you will. The model dates we commonly use today stem from patent dates, contract dates, or first year made. Doesn't hurt anything, really, as long as folks don't get too attached to our use of model dates as actual production dates.

Zonie,
As usual you are the MAN. :bow: Thank you for the quick info for these. This way I can give out good info and resolve the dilemma between the few men. Silly but needed.

By the way, the Ruger 'Old Army' was supposed to represent what time period and model? Thanks for the information again Gentlemen. It is nice to have such people to rely on in this day and age.

Cheers,
DonK

The ruger "Old Army" gives homage to the Remington "new model Army" so it would sort of fit in that time period. However it is not a reproduction of any gun from that period,so it would not be PC to use it in reenacting (at least with those that like to police PC).

"By the way, the Ruger 'Old Army' was supposed to represent what time period and model?"

Ruger Old Army= 1972-2008

Thank you for the info. I always wondered what the 'Old Army' pistol was. Seems like that was an excuse to sell a pistol with an 'old' look but was not true to any actual pistol.

Cheers, DonK

The "Old Army" was the results of Bill Rugers love for old firearms and his vision of seeing a Cap & Ball gun based on the Super Blackhawk.

Although it looks similar to the 1858 Remington it has few features from that gun.
It does incorporate the Rodgers & Spencer style of shield that prevents fouling from accumulating on the cylinder pin and binding the gun up which was a common fault of the Colt and the Remington pistols.

Zonie said:
Sounds like your after the original guns production dates. A few dates for the more common reproduction pistols follows:

Colt's Pattersen No. 5, .36 cal: 1838-1840
Colt Walker: 1847
Colt's Whitneyville Walker: 1847
Colt's Walker Replacement Dragoon: 1848
Colt's 1st Model Dragoon: 1848-1850
Colt's 2nd Model Dragoon: 1850-1851
Colt's 3rd Model Dragoon: a851-1861
Colt Model 1848 Baby Dragoon: 1847-1850
Colt Model 1849 Pocket Revolver: 1850-1873 (.31 cal. both with/without loading lever.)
Colt Model 1851 Navy: 1850-1873
Colt's Root Model 1855: 1855-1870
Remington-Beals Army*: 1861-1862
Remington New Model Army*: 1863-1875
Remington New Model Navy*: 1862
Whitney Navy: 1858-early 1860's
Pepperboxes: 1836-1858
Starr Arms: 1858-1865

* These Remingtons are often called "Remington 1858's" because of Beals Patent date marked on the barrel however they did not go into production until the 1860's.
Dates derived form "FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS...and their values" 9th Ed.

Back